- 1041 Koko Head Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
The internship will include practical experience in children’s services, such as assisting the librarian with story time and class visits and collection management. There will also be practical experience in working at the reference desk that serves adults, young adults and children. This will include helping patrons with their digital literacy skills on the computers and explaining library services, including many digital resources.
Kaimuki Public Library is a busy regional library open six days a week, including two evenings and Sundays.
The library includes a wing for children’s and young adult collections and a wing for adult collections and 13 public internet computers. The staff includes a branch manager, two adult reference librarians, a children’s librarian, a young adult-AV librarian, two library technicians, seven library assistants and seven student helpers. There is a story time presented for young children followed by a craft time every Sunday morning.
Successful completion of:
- LIS 601 Introduction to Reference and Information Services
- LIS 663 Database Searching
- Any course in children’s or young adult literature
- Enthusiasm for working with children and people of all ages
- Ability to read aloud to children
- Ability to work with a team including two supervisors
- Ability to spend some Sunday mornings in internship
Most Sundays – at least 2 hours
Two other weekdays, flexible hours to be scheduled
Closed on Saturdays
Goals and Outcomes
The internship student will be able to prepare and present a Story Time and:
- compile a booklist on an assigned subject
- assist librarian with collection management; be able to explain decisions
- learn and be able to explain library policies and services
- learn to provide reference services to various ages of patrons in a public library
Weekly and monthly assignments and projects to complete. Discussion and evaluation with supervising librarians.
- Initial discussion to set goals. Weekly assignments and discussions.
- Mid-term discussion of progress.
- Presentation of story time, submission of booklist, collection management project completion.
- Christin Lozano
- (808) 733-8423