- 1325 Kalihi St., Honolulu, HI, 96819
Provide general reference and reader’s advisory. Assist Library Assistants in basic circulation services. Select an area in the collection (adult, young adult, juvenile or reference) to analyze and evaluate for currency and scope. Assist Librarian in weeding and selecting material for collection development in the area evaluated. Work with a librarian to plan and execute a program.
Kalihi-Palama Public Library services an area of which spans from Kalihi Valley to Sand Island, east to Palama and west to Fort Shafter. Schools include Farrington High School. and Kamehameha Schools. The collection includes 57,000 volumes and reflects the needs of the community.
- Completion of LIS 601 Introduction to Reference & Information Services
- Completion of, or currently enrolled in, LIS 615 Collection Management
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Able to handle several tasks at once on a busy desk
- Desire to learn the operations of a medium-sized public library
- Any advanced LIS reference courses
- Experience with HSPLS apps and online resources.
Flexible. During open hours:
Mon and Wed: 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Tues., Thurs., Fri., and Sat.: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Closed on Sundays and Holidays.
Goals and Outcomes
Intern will have basic reference and circulation skills and experience in collection development and planning programs for the community.
At the start of the internship, the intern and supervisor will create specific goals and timelines for the semester. Throughout the semester, the intern and supervisor will meet every other week to evaluate his/her progress. At the end of the semester, successful completion of the internship will be determined by met and unmet goals and intern’s and supervisor’s evaluation of work
The supervising librarian will complete the LIS 690 Evaluation Form at the end of the semester.
- Trisha Murakami
- (808) 832-3466