Intern will receive advanced training in MS Word, Excel, and Access as well as web design and construction (some prior experience is preferred). In-depth explanations of issues in electronic resource management will be provided, including database design, licensing, proxy servers, and OpenURL. Directed work on projects in one or more of the following areas will be based on the intern’s abilities and preferences:
- Updating and maintaining the KCC library website
- Updating and maintaining the library’s electronic resources management database
- Activating, setting up, and providing access to full-text electronic journals
- Creating, organizing, and providing access to digital collections on a variety of topics
- Documenting departmental procedures
- Collecting and analyzing online usage statistics
- Directed reading and research on related topics
KCC is a two-year degree-granting academic institution in the UH System. The Lama library serves approximately 6,700 students with widely varying backgrounds and needs. The library collection includes over 70,000 books, 300 journals and magazines, and 20,000 electronic titles.
- Completion of LIS 601 Introduction to Reference & Information Services
- Familiarity with Windows and basic software; understanding of the world wide web
- Ability to perform work accurately with attention to detail under minimal supervision (after training)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, and Access
- Experience with HTML
- One or more of the following: LIS 676, LIS 672, LIS 674, any LIS-approved ICS course
Flexible, 9:30 am – 6:00 pm, Monday – Friday.
Goals and Outcomes
- Introductory understanding of practical electronic resources management
- Experience in website and database design and maintenance
Ongoing informal feedback and discussion throughout the semester will be used; a log of activities and time spent on each project is encouraged.
The supervising librarian will complete the LIS 690 evaluation form at the end of the semester.
- Stephanie Nelson
- (808) 734-9254