- 1565 Kolekole Ave., Bldg 560 Schofield Barracks, HI 96857
The intern will be provided an opportunity to work in all areas of the library: Circulation (Innovative Interfaces Millennium); Reference – work with OCLC’s QuestionPoint, assist reference librarian in analyzing and evaluating the collection and recommend purchases; become familiar with a variety of online databases such as ProQuest; Public Services – programming, interlibrary loan; and Technical Services – cataloging and acquisitions.
The Sgt Yano Library is a public library whose customer base is comprised of the Army community in the Schofield Barracks area. The library is a 25,000 square foot facility with a book collection of approximately 80,000.
- LIS 601 Introduction to Reference & Information Services
- LIS 605 Metadata Creation for Information Organization
- Good language and social skills
- Basic reference and cataloging skills
- Ability to multi-task
Can accommodate intern’s schedule.
Library hours of operation are: Mon-Tue, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Wed-Sat, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Goals and Outcomes
- Learn circulation desk operations
- Be familiar with a variety of reference tools to include online databases
- Gain experience in providing online reference services via QuestionPoint
- Be able to identify acquisition sources for library materials, supplies, and equipment
- Be able to plan, market, and execute a library program
- Intern and supervisor will discuss goals at the beginning of the internship
- Intern and supervisor will meet formally at midpoint to discuss how well goals are being met
- Librarians who work with intern will provide training, support, and feedback throughout the internship
The supervising librarian will complete the LIS 690 Evaluation Form at the end of the semester.
- Amy Nogami
- (808) 655-9269