The intern will gain training and experience in providing service in one or more areas of interest: resource management, electronic resource evaluation, collection acquisition or information literacy tools such as PowerPoint presentations, videos, or marketing products.
The intern would be trained in processing of collection materials, searching for medical literature, use of the media software and assist with resource instruction and outreach. The intern would also help collect data on the effectiveness of the program.
We expect the intern to gain experience in Center operations by attending monthly meetings with the Center supervisor. We also expect the intern to contribute to the Resource Center efforts to determine the effectiveness of the program by researching the literature, discussing ideas with the other librarians and proposing, planning or participating in surveys or other research methods.
The intern will assist in raising awareness among the HPH clinicians about the Medical Library resources, services and expertise.
The Hawai‘i Pacific Health Medical Services Resource Center maintains two physical locations. The sites are the Arnold Library, located at Straub Medical Center and the Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women and Children. The Resource Center serves the four hospitals and many clinics of the Hawai‘i Pacific Health organization. The Resource Center provides medical information, resources, and services to assist clinicians with their work in patient care, education, research and management. The library maintains a small collection on training materials but the majority of the resources are provided in electronic format.
- LIS 601 – Introduction to Reference & Information Services (completed)
- LIS 615 – Collection Management (completed or currently enrolled)
- LIS 663 – Database Searching (completed or currently enrolled)
- Interest in Medical Librarianship and the information literacy process.
Internship days and hours will be developed based on the interns’ class schedule and the needs of the Resource Center.
Goals and Outcomes
- An explanation of the HPH mission, goals and objectives will be discussed as well as ways in which the Resource Center supports those ends.
- An electronic resource development project and time-line will be developed.
- A set of desired outcomes based on the professional development goals for the intern will be developed.
- A schedule for additional tasks will be developed.
- Intern and Librarian will discuss goals at the beginning of the internship.
- Intern and Librarian will meet formally at midpoint to discuss how well goals are being met.
- Librarian who work with intern will provide training, support, and feedback throughout the internship.
- David Coleman
- (808) 522-4471