- 2550 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI, 96822
- Interns will have the opportunity to apply learned reference service knowledge and skills in the setting of a special area collection. Training in departmental procedures and policies will be provided. After training is completed, interns will be scheduled to serve at the reference desk.
- Interns will design and install an exhibit in the Asia Collection. The exhibit may be a topic of interest to the intern. Creating the exhibit will serve as an opportunity to explore a special segment of the collection and to serve as an outreach project.
- Interns will work on a special project(s) under the guidance of an Asia specialist. The project may reflect the intern’s particular area of interest or fulfill a need in the collection.
- Interns may assist in collection building by searching titles and preparing orders and may be asked to prepare topical guides and finding aids.
- Interns may assist in maintaining and developing Asia Collection’s web site.
The Asia Collection acquires materials published in and about the countries of East, South and Southeast Asia. The collection receives materials published in 17 Asian languages, English and other Western languages. In general, the emphasis of the collection is on the social sciences and humanities, with selected materials on science subjects that reflect cultural traditions. Holdings include monographs, Asian government documents, periodicals, newspapers, microforms, multi-media and electronic materials, pamphlets and ephemera.
- LIS 601 Introduction to Reference & Information Services
- A strong interest in Asian librarianship.
- Interest in Asian Studies or related fields
- Interest in Asian languages
Flexible. 8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday.
Goals and Outcomes
Interns will have acquired an understanding of reference service and collection building in an area collection.
The LIS evaluation form is used for the final evaluation. Discussions, as needed, will be held with the intern during the semester.
The LIS evaluation form is used for the final evaluation. Discussions, Mid-semester and end of term.
- Elena Clariza
- (808) 956-2313