The intern will have the opportunity to perform archival duties that may include, but are not limited to: creating inventories of collections, creating an arrangement methodology, and using software to create finding aids. Interns may also work on developing digital resources, adding content to CLEAR hosted web pages, writing guides for electronic resources relating to the collection.
CLEAR is the Center for Labor Education & Research at UHWO since 1996, formerly at UH Mānoa. The By state statute (§304A-1601) CLEAR maintains this Archive to provide labor-related education to the public. The archive contains historical records of the labor movement in Hawai‘i, to the students at UHWO and to the public by request. The collection consists mainly of books records on paper and other media, from the early Nineteenth century to the present, including newspapers, photographs, artwork, union artifacts, and reference collection.
- Interest in labor history or labor law of Hawai‘i, activism and civil rights
- Skills in oral and written communication
- Good organizational and computer skills
Experience or knowledge of the cataloguing & preservation of historical material; willingness to pursue research & develop knowledge about the collection(s); ability to work with dirty and dusty items and lift 30lb boxes on occasion.
To be negotiated. Between 10am and 6pm. Typically 10 hours a week, for a total of 150 hours to be completed by the end of the semester. Minimum 2 hours per session.
Goals and Outcomes
- Application of learning to real-life needs in a special library setting, to improve library services through concrete projects
- To gain experience handling & cataloguing archive collections
- Experience with a special library: student will begin to understand the focus of a special library
Monthly update meetings between the student and supervisor will occur during the course of the internship.
One midterm evaluation halfway through the semester and one final evaluation at the end of the semester will be performed.
- Alphie Garcia
- (808) 689-2708