Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies
Description of library/collection
The library collection concentrates on transnational security issues
in the Asia-Pacific region. It contains more than 2,500 volumes, 125 periodical
subscriptions and more than 2000 full text online periodical titles and
about 300 videocassettes. The library serves an estimated 500 customers
annually; supports three 12-week Executive courses; two 1 week Senior
Executive courses and three 3 week Comprehensive Security Response to
Terrorism courses as well as providing library/information resources and
service for the faculty, staff and researchers fellows.
Online access is available 24/7 for fellows and international and national alumni.
Description of internship
Provides an opportunity to work in an academic research library. Working with international and national security and governmental officials from 45 Asian and Pacific countries. Practice in writing bibliographies, tutorials and instructions for the fellows, faculty, conference attendees. Assist with library automation projects and collection mamagememt. Assist faculty, staff and fellows with reference/research and teaching basic database searching techniques.
- Basic cataloging
- Introduction to librarianship
- Collection development
- Library automation
- Knowledge of basic online and print reference sources
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic interest in libraries and librarianship
To be determined -- the library is currently open
Mon-Fri from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. when class is in session
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. when class is not in session.
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
Hands on library experience:
- Ability to conduct successful reference and online searches
- Original and copy cataloging experience
- Produce effective online tutorials for library databases
- Collection management
- Personal interview - incoming, mid-term, and outgoing
- Written evaluation and summation of learning experiences; recommendations for improving library services.
- Develop professional goals as a result of working in the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies Library
To be determined.Return to top