Sgt. Yano Library, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Location: CRD, DCA, USAG-HI (Bldg 560)
Schofield Barracks, HI 96857-5000
Supervisor: Amy Nogami
Description of libraryThe Sgt Yano Library is a public library whose customer base is comprised of the Army community in the Schofield Barracks area. The library is a 25,000 square foot facility with a book collection of approximately 80,000.
Description of internshipThe intern will be provided an opportunity to work in all areas of the library: Circulation (Innovative Interfaces Millennium); Reference – work with OCLC’s QuestionPoint, assist reference librarian in analyzing and evaluating the collection and recommend purchases; become famili ar with a variety of online databases such as ProQuest; Public Services – programming, interlibrary loan; and Technical Services – cataloging and acquisitions.
Required pre-requisites courses
- LIS 601: Intro to Reference Info Services
- LIS 605: Basic Cataloging.
Good language and social skills; basic reference and cataloging skills; ability to multi-task.
Can accommodate intern’s schedule.
Library hours of operation are: Mon-Thu, 11 am – 8 pm; Fri-Sun, 10 am – 6 pm
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
- Learn circulation desk operations
- Be familiar with a variety of reference tools to include online databases
- Gain experience in providing online reference services via QuestionPoint
- Be able to identify acquisition sources for library materials, supplies, and equipment
- Be able to plan, market, and execute a library program
- Intern and supervisor will discuss goals at the beginning of the internship
- Intern and supervisor will meet formally at midpoint to discuss how well goals are being met
- Librarians who work with intern will provide training, support, and feedback throughout the internship