Beta Phi Mu - Xi Chapter Scholarship
To apply for the Beta Phi Mu Xi Chapter scholarship, please submit the following:
- Your transcripts (a Web version from UH Banner is fine),
- A cover letter stating your current GPA and service to the UH LIS Program and its students, and
- Two letters of recommendation.
Please send all documents at one time via U.S. mail or e-mail to the Beta Phi Mu Scholarship Committee with your return mailing address
State Data Coordinator
Office of the State Librarian
44 Merchant Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Telephone: (808) 586-3696
The $250 scholarship will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Minimum 3.85 GPA (grade point average based on a 4.0 scale)
- Completion of at least 21 credits in the UH Manoa Library and Information Science Program
- Cover letter, stating your GPA, details of your service to fellow LIS students, such as leadership in Hui Dui, ALA-SC, SLA/ASIS&T, HASL, AHA, the Web Team or similar, and reasons why you qualify for this scholarship
- Two letters of recommendation: the first from an LIS instructor, emphasizing scholarship and research abilities and the second from a library job, internship, or volunteer supervisor stating your leadership potential, commitment to Hawai'i, and service to the profession, the UHM LIS Program, UHM LIS students, or your community.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2014. An acknowledgement email will be sent immediately upon receipt of an application. If you do not receive an acknowledgement, please resend your application or contact the Scholarship Committee Chair. Beta Phi Mu Xi Chapter is not responsible for applications lost in transit. The award will be presented at the annual initiation ceremony of new Beta Phi Mu members in May 2014.