Hiromu Rose Creates App for Students

Hiromu Rose

Hiromu Rose

Hiromu Ryan Rose, a senior at McKinley High School, created an app that he describes as “similar to a planner and a checklist. You list all your classes or activities and then put tasks under each category that you need to complete.” His purpose in undertaking this project was to emphasize the importance of computer programming and to support its inclusion as a requirement in the high school curriculum. To complete his app, Hiromu gathered information and statistics about the gap between programming jobs and the people who apply for these jobs. He also investigated the benefits of programming for students and how it helped them in their lives.

In undertaking this senior project, he faced different challenges and reaped many rewards. Hiromu describes the experience as follows

I had to learn how to code since it was a completely different language for me. The divergent thought process that I had to follow was very different from that of my other subjects. The most rewarding part was finishing the app and seeing it run smoothly after testing the code. Because of this project, I not only have new programming skills but I have also gained analytical skills in divergent thinking. I now try to think of different, non-traditional ways to approach a problem just like when coding.

Hiromu credits the following mentors in his work

• Kari Yoo, senior project manager at the school: she helped Hiromu stay on track with his project and assisted him in refining his presentation.
  • Cam-Tu Trinh, senior project mentor from the community: Trinh is the DOE STEM resource manager for the Kaimuki-McKinley-Roosevelt Complex and provided Hiromu with a mentor assistant for the programming aspect of the project as well as assistance with research on the Hawaii DOE educational system.
  • Christopher Nguyen, senior project mentor assistant: he taught Hiromu about computer programming and assisted with the app development.

After graduation, Hiromu plans to attend Harvard and major in mechanical engineering. His longer-range plans include the possibility of pursuing a law degree with a specialty in patent law.