The mandatory new-student orientation program provides information in the use of the University’s libraries and other facilities, academic regulations and procedures, as well as helping new students become acquainted with fellow students and faculty. The program is planned and presented by Hui Dui, the LIS student association, in cooperation with the Program. It is followed by individual academic advising by the faculty for class preregistration. Incoming students who attend Orientation have first choice in registering for courses. RSVP to: LISstaff@hawaii.edu.
Orientation is held on the Wednesday before classes begin each semester. Based upon the current academic calendar, the dates for upcoming LIS orientations are listed below. It is possible that the calendar will change, so keep in touch with the Program upon your admission.
Spring 2014 January 8, 2014
Fall 2014 August 20, 2015
Spring 2015 January 7, 2015
The orientation schedule begins at 8:30 am and continues until approximately 3 pm. Coffee and pastries are provided, as is lunch.
1. If you do not already have a University of Hawaii email account, please get one at: https://myuh.hawaii.edu:
2. Once you have your UH user name, complete the LIS Computer Account Form. Download it to fill in the information and sign it. You may return it using the secure UH File Drop: https://www.hawaii.edu/
3. Email to let us know the name you prefer to use (nickname, middle name, Hawaiian name, etc.).
4. Please let us know if you plan to take classes on another island so we can plan your distance education needs.
5. Also let us know if you have prior library experience. Please list the nature of the work, the work site and the dates for each position. We do not need a complete CV or job description, just something that lets your advisor have a sense of your preparation and experience.