A Winning Campaign 8
The Campaign for HawaiiUHs first comprehensive fundraising campaigncomes to a successful close after raising more than $1 million for scholarships and other initiatives.
A Taste for Technology 9
UH Community Colleges launch the Pacific Center for Advanced Technology Training to provide tailored training that meets clients needs.
Classic art training incorporates high technology to prepare UH students for jobs in computer animation and other new media, such as the pioneering animated film Final Fantasy.
A Manoa professor chronicles the history of aloha wear, including the evolution of the aloha shirt, while UH graduates create the clothing designs that fashion our future.
Small Program, Big Impact 16
Alumni from the UH Manoa dance program influence dance around the world as dancers, teachers and choreographers.
Armed with chopsticks and peanut butter, a UH graduate student leads Big Island high schoolers in a trap-and-identify program that infuses science education with hands-on lessons in environmental awareness.
More than a Green Thumb 19
Like a modern-day Johnny Appleseed, a talented and dedicated UH research associate is repopulating the Big Island of Hawaii with silverswords and other native plants.
- Award-winning Pool Cool program teaches safe sun to swimming kids 3
- UH helps develop a new integrated residency program to train better, more involved pediatricians 3>
- Windward Community College students participate in NASA weightlessness program 3
- UHs latest noteworthy mice are of the robotic kind 4
- New online at UH: opticianry training, library catalogs, teacher education, computer degrees 4
- Patrice Tanaka: Journalism graduate becomes a leading New York public relations executive 27
- Clayton Amemiya: A Hilo artist uses ancient techniques to paint pottery with fire 28
Dexter Kaiama: This attorney and high school basketball coach is most of all a family man 25