Brandan Kop: Hall of Fame Golfer

September 16th, 2008  |  by  |  Published in People, Sports

Brandan Kop

Brandan Kop, BA in business (marketing) ’82, UH Mānoa

Roots: Kalani High School, Honolulu
Recent honor: Induction into the Hawaiʻi Golf Hall of Fame
Family: Wife Gail

Teeing off since age 10, Brandan Kop attended UH Mānoa on a golf scholarship. He won the 1981 Western Athletic Conference golf championship, was named to the All-WAC Golf Team twice and has become bit of a philosopher: “Golf mimics life. You can learn life lessons from golf—never give up, learn things from bad days and learn from your mistakes.”

Kop’s inspriation comes from his grandfather, former golf professional Guinea Kop. The elder Kop pushed the value of a college degree.

“‘That’s one thing they can never take away from you,’ he used to tell me. That was the best information he could have given me.”

In UH classrooms, Kop learned the skills to start Kop Distributors, a Pearl City golf equipment, accessories and sports apparel (including licensed UH logo wear) business, in 1983.

“The class that helped me the most was a salesmanship course because it was the most practical. I learned basic salesmanship and marketing, which correspond directly to my job,” he says.

Kop balances work with time on the green. “Someday, I want my workers to take over and run my business successfully,” he confides. “I got 10 employees, and I want to make sure my business can keep going.”

Tags: , , , ,