Alumni share UH memories

December 4th, 2008  |  by  |  Published in UHAA News  |  11 Comments

collage of UH photos and memorabilia, click to view slideshow

Maybe you don’t miss standing in line at Klum Gym to register for classes, but how about pau hana time at Mānoa Gardens or a Campus Center loco-moco on a rainy day?

When UH Alumni Association board members (and some of their co-workers) were asked recently what they miss about their student days, a lively e-mail conversation ensued. Shooting pool, playing ping pong and “sharpening our singing skills (waaaay before karaoke was in vogue) at Shakey’s Pizza Parlor” figured in the responses.

Derek Mukai recalls Super Rooters. The 1980s student cheering section in the orange seats on the 40-yard line at Aloha Stadium was a couple hundred strong, he wrote.

It wasn’t all about extracurricular activities. Bernadette Baraquio Hamada remembers riding her mountain bike from Orvis Auditorium to Crawford Hall in three minutes and learning about the history of rock and roll “from a long-haired professor with a great taste for oldies.” And Janet Bullard laughs about watching her friend Keoni fall asleep in History 101…almost every class.

What do you remember most from your time at any of our 10 campuses? View a slide show by the UH Alumni Associationand use the comments section below to share your memories.

Tags: ,

Responses

1. Greg King says:

December 10th, 2008at 4:38 am(#)

Hi. I just watched the sldeshow of the UH Alumni Association on UH Memories. I’m not too happy with the picture of a prowar demonstration being followed by a UH Budget Cuts demo as an example of a peaceful demonstration. While the Budget Cuts demo of course belongs in there, too, I really think you should have followed the picture of a prowar demo with an antiwar demo. There were thousands of UH students involved in those at times, particularly during the October 15th Vietnam Moratorium in 1969 and the Cambodia Strike in early May 1970, following Nixon’s invasion of Cambodia and the killing of those 4 students at Kent State. I say this as a former ASUH senator (around 1970-’71) and a former cochairperson of the UH-Manoa chapter of the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). I attended UH from 1968 till I graduated in 1972. I loved, and still love, Hawai’i. If it wasn’t so expensive, I’d retire in the Islands. I’d like to say a big Mahalo to UH for my education.
    Aloha,
    Greg King

2. Kerry Hocker says:

December 10th, 2008at 7:13 am(#)

I dormed at Frear Hall back in 1983 when it was an all girls dorm. My best friend was studying to be a nurse and she had to be at her clinicals at 6 a.m. So, I used to wake up early every morning and walk with her all the way down Dole to get her car and then she would give me a ride back to the dorm. I remember walking out at 5:30 in the morning and feeling that warm breeze and looking up at the beautiful sunrise. We’re still best friends after 25 years. I live in California and she stayed in Hawaii and we still talk to one another at least 3 times a month.

3. Khontt says:

December 10th, 2008at 9:34 am(#)

I remember all of the awesome and talented people I met at KTUH and Ka Leo, who’s creativity was stifled by CAPS advisers. I won’t donate a dime to UH until that organization receives a major overhaul (and purge – BonnyJean and Dusterhaus excluded).
    We had a part-time adviser from KCC fill in for Hartwell for a couple weeks and I learned more from him than I did in the 4 years that I worked with CAPS advisers.

4. Spirit of UH says:

December 10th, 2008at 11:12 am(#)

Mahalo everyone for sharing your thoughts and memories. I am an old university (just celebrated a hundred years on this earth) and it’s hard for me to remember all that’s happened over the years – there are so many of you that passed through my halls. Each memory that you share helps me recall the part I played in your lives. Hopefully I’ve helped you in some way to grow intellectually, emotionally and physically. Thank you for reminding me what’s important and why I exist. Ekomomai everyone, welcome home…

5. June Segundo says:

December 12th, 2008at 5:10 pm(#)

Hello!

That was a nice slideshow. What do I miss?
    I miss the East West Center cafeteria and sitting room at the lobby level.
    I spent a lot of time there conferencing in small study groups with friends.

It is now fully enclosed and reserved for conferences.
    I attended a Philosophy conference there recently and was quite surprised by the changes.

I’m glad the Japanese gardens in the back are still there preserved in timeless beauty.

6. Jennifer Baybrook says:

December 15th, 2008at 4:33 pm(#)

I miss everything! The people, the food the easy-going days. The plate lunches, the campus, Manoa Gardens, Campus Center and more. I’ve been gone from the islands for 3 1/2 years but I haven’t stopped missing it any less.

Mahalo for reminding me of all the great memories!

7. Jonathan Suzuki says:

December 17th, 2008at 4:48 pm(#)

• Taking art class in Varsity theatre and then heading off to Kuhio Grill to understand the art lesson that we learned that day.
    • After rain storms in the old quarry parking lot and having to float/steer my VW bug over the big ponds in the quarry parking lot.

8. Karl Fujii says:

December 18th, 2008at 9:10 am(#)

• Never knew art class was at Varsity and only knew drinks at Manoa Garden and the stir-fry was awesome!
    • Shooting pool at Campus Center instead of history class and or lab.
    • Getting drenched from the Manoa showers since the umbrellas couldn’t handle that kind of volume.
    • Standing in long lines at Klum gym to register for classes and not knowing I literally had to race to each class to get the card
    • Camping on Cooke field for football tickets.
    • Getting my car ticketed and towed for parking in the wrong zone.

9. Doug says:

December 23rd, 2008at 10:15 pm(#)

Taking the last final exam of the semester, then heading out to the beach to fire up the hibachi/grill and kick back with friends.

10. grace kwon says:

January 16th, 2009at 10:31 am(#)

1958-1962 Memories
    The old quarry with its ponds to find algae for fishtanks and the long trek up and down the wooden stairs often times so tiring and making us late for classes across campus at Crawford Hall

Farrington Hall, now gone, dark and theater-like, with long, long lectures.

Henke Hall, when it was the last building on campus before the keawe trees and Manoa Stream….

11. Elaine Moon Matsuda says:

January 16th, 2009at 3:12 pm(#)

I,too, will have fond memories of UH. I remember visiting Manoa Gardens after my last classes. Standing in line to register for my classes at Klum Gym and always trying to get to school early to find parking on Armstrong Street. I will be leaving the islands soon and working in Florida which will be my new home. I thank UH for giving me a bright future and my father for encouraging me to go beyond high school. Aloha Oe to all the people who I went to classes with and to my professors. Class of 1982.