Jay Nicolas Sario: Project Runway contestant

January 21st, 2010  |  by  |  Published in People  |  11 Comments

Jay Nicholas Sario doing a fitting on a model on the tv show Project Runway

Sario fitting his model on Project Runway

UH degree: Studied fashion technology ’99–’04, Honolulu
Roots: The Philippines, Mililani High School
Career: Visual merchandiser and lead stylist in the kids division
Favorite color: Green
Favorite designer: Alexander McQueen
Fashion necessities: Pairs of expensive, great-fitting jeans and big sunglasses
Hobbies: Furniture hunting, shopping for clothes and shoes

Season 7 marked the second time Jay Nicolas Sario auditioned for the Lifetime Television show Project Runway. Called on his birthday with news that he was in, Sario screamed.

His Honolulu Community College Fashion Technology instructors aren’t surprised. They recognized early his passion, persistence, talent, creativity and ability to make do with the materials at hand.

model on the runway in Jay Michael Sario's dress

A model struts down the runway in Jay Michael Sario’s dress

Given the choice, Sario likes to work with wool, tweed, denim, leather—anything that can give structure, texture and three-dimensionality. Witness the tweedy skirt with flower-like ruffles at the hip that advanced him past the first round. So perhaps he was a natural to win the round two burlap-potato-bag-as-dress-material challenge Jan. 21.

His former professors fully expect him to survive more rounds, based in part on the collection he created for the 2004 Honolulu Community College fashion show. It was called Boyet, which is also his nickname (a cultural term of affection for the youngest male child), used by the extended family that is also rooting for his continued success on the Thursday night show.

If he wasn’t working for Gap Inc. in San Francisco, Sario says he would be a celebrity stylist with a vintage boutique in Los Angeles. He’d love to have his own line of exclusive designs for select clients. Given the chance, he’d dress Michelle Obama in a green strapless evening dress that flows beautifully from the hip down.

View Sario’s audition and casting tapes at his Project Runway bio page.

Tags: , , ,

Responses

1. tj parr says:

February 27th, 2010at 7:16 am(#)

Hi Jay U are a very handsome young sexy guy. I love yor styles and designs. call me @ (cell #)on wed or thur between 6 pm and 8 pm est. I live in Atlanta Ga

Hi TJ, sorry we don’t allow posting of personal information, but I’m sure the sentiment is appreciated. – ed.

2. Elia says:

March 7th, 2010at 4:34 pm(#)

You are the best. From the first episode my family and I became your fans. Good luck! You have a bright future.

3. valerie says:

March 10th, 2010at 12:08 pm(#)

Hi Jay,
    You are such a talented designer. I’ll bet anything that U will WIN this completion and become a world-renowned fashion designer in no time. I would LOVE to wear your designs no matter what. Best of luck!!!

4. Miavanni says:

April 19th, 2010at 6:53 am(#)

OMG! ILY im pissed you got voted off. I think you shoulda won instead of Mila ….. From Crestview FL. IM UR BIGGEST FAN. Best wishes

5. Miavanni says:

April 19th, 2010at 6:56 am(#)

HI JAY!!!
    OMG! ILY im pissed you got voted off. I think you shoulda won instead of Mila .
    IM UR BIGGEST FAN.
    Best wishes From Crestview FL.

6. Anni says:

April 21st, 2010at 4:50 am(#)

Jay, you have so much creativity. I’m sure you will make it on your own to Bryant Park in the years to come. Looking forward to seeing more of your designs. Best wishes for the future.

7. Hello Kitty 666 says:

April 23rd, 2010at 8:48 am(#)

Keep on do’in what you do and don’t listen to criticism that comes from unqualified individuals. Examples of these would be: Magazine editors, supermodels turned host, runway carpet divas, and english wannabes who don’t know about style. Your family is doing right in helping you so be strong.

[edited for profanity --ed.]

8. Cheryl Ernst says:

July 29th, 2010at 7:30 am(#)

Project Runway likes Hawaiʻi—Season 8 has two contestants with ties to the Islands…and the University of Hawaiʻi. Like Sario, Andy South studied at Honolulu Community College’s Fashion Technology Program. Ivy Higa was an art student at UH Mānoa before moving to New York to study fashion. Read Nadine Kam’s article in the Star-Advertiser or a Q&A with South in the Honolulu Weekly.

9. Dylan White says:

December 21st, 2010at 7:05 am(#)

when it comes to tv fashion shows, i really love Project Runway because it shows some new talents in the fashion industry

10. Tatiana says:

July 23rd, 2011at 11:51 am(#)

Dear Jay,

I was watching a rerun of the season you were on of project runway. I absolutely love your designs and one of my favorite favorite favorite designs was for the Marie Claire Cover Challenge. That dress was amazing, romantic, dramatic and GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! I love that dress I don’t know how you were simply “safe” I love that piece and would love to own one!

11. noel silang says:

July 29th, 2011at 3:45 pm(#)

OMG! i knew you had filipino roots…good luck jay!