From Trade School to Community College

April 22nd, 2010  |  by  |  Published in Text Transcripts

Highlights from Honolulu Community College’s first 90 years.

This is the text of the timeline narrated in this multimedia slide show.

  • 1920

    Territorial Trade School opens with 42 students in the buildings of the Old Chinese Hospital in Pālama. Subjects included auto mechanics, machine shop and carpentry.

  • 1925–27

    To take advantage of federal legislation, the name changes to Smith-Hughes Department of McKinley High School, and then to Honolulu Vocational School.

  • 1929

    The Territorial Legislature appropriates $40,000 for improvements on campus.

  • 1941–45

    Students help make machine gun mounts, landmines, water tanks, search lights and other war items.

  • 1946–48

    Cosmetology, refrigeration, drafting and radio programs are added, followed by a baking program.

  • 1950–52

    Masonry is added, followed by auto body and repair.

  • 1953

    The name is changed to Honolulu Technical School. Enrollment expands once the Korean War ends.

  • 1958

    The Foods Building opens, housing a bake shop and cafeteria.

  • 1962–63

    Automotive and Electronics Buildings are completed, followed by a two-story science building.

  • 1965

    State law transfers the school from the Department of Education to the new University of Hawaiʻi community college system.

  • 1966-69

    Honolulu Community College offers the associate of arts degree and transfer-level courses in English, mathematics and social and natural sciences.

  • 1972–74

    A a construction boom begins with the Fashion and Cosmetology Building, followed by a six-story Liberal Arts and Library and the Administrative and Student Services Buildings.

  • 1975

    Apprentices of the Pearl Harbor Shipyard Apprentice School start classroom instruction at the college as part of a four-year program in ship repair and maintenance.

  • 1977–79

    The Trade Industry Complex is completed, and a six-story Campus Center is built.

  • 1986–88

    Off-campus sites are established for automotive technology and diesel mechanics on the makai end of Kōkea Street.

  • 1995–98

    The college opens the Airport Training Center at Honolulu International Airport, Marine Education and Training Center on Sand Island and Pacific Aerospace Training Center at Kalaeloa.

  • 2001

    The Pacific Center for Advanced Technology Training, a consortium of the UH Community Colleges, opens administrative headquarters at Honolulu Community College.

  • 2005

    The college establishes the Construction Academy in partnership with eight Hawaiʻi high schools; participation grows to 35 schools statewide.

  • 2007

    The Music and Entertainment Learning Experience (MELE) program opens with associate’s degrees in music business or audio engineering.

  • 2009

    The college enrolls 4,585 credit students and another 2,991 apprentice students.


Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.