1939: The beginning. Dr. Eric A Fennel (The Clinic), Dr. AR Keller (UH Dean, College of Applied Science), Dr. DL Crawford (UH President), Dr. Philip Hillkowitz (Chair, Registry of Medical Technologists, Bell Memorial Hospital, Muncie, IN), and Ann Scott (Registrar, Registry of Medical Technologists).
1940: Professors Enlisted: Dr. Frank Dillingham (Chemistry), Dr. ON Allen (Microbiology), Dr. C Hamre (Zoology).
1943: Dr. Paul Bachman (UH Dean of Faculties) appoints a committee to plan a new curriculum in Medical Technology.
1944: Medical Technology established in the College of Applied Science: Dr. Eric Fennel (Director), Dr. OA Bushnell, Dr. Mickey Boyles Adams, Dr. Elizabeth Bushnell, Dr. George Chun, Dr. IL Tilden, Grace Oishi (Kagawa).
1946: First Bachelor of Science degrees in Medical Technology conferred.
1952: Lecturer fee for Grace M Oishi (Kagawa) was raised "from $30 to $60 per month, because of her heavier load." (Letter from Dr. Paul S Bachman, Dean of Faculties, to Dr. WJ Holmes, Dean).
1959: Medical Technology moves to College of Nursing.
1963: Louise Wulff hired to chair Medical Technology. She was the first President of the Hawaii Society for Medical Technology, and launched the Kokonut Wireless Nius.
1965: School of Medicine established.
1967: Patricia Taylor hired as faculty; Medical Technology moves to School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and relocated to Snyder Hall with labs in Leahi Hospital.
1969: Medical Technology becomes a Division in the Department of Allied Medical Sciences.
1973: Louise Wulff retires. MEDT 366 summer clerkship begins. Participating labs eventually expands from Oahu to Big Island, Maui, Kauai, Molokai, as well as Saipan and California. Teaching labs in the East-West 5 portable.
1979: First site visit for national accreditation (NAACLS). Successful re-accreditation to this date.
1992: Division moves to the Biomedical Sciences Building.
2004: Patricia Taylor retires after 36 years of service.
2007: Joyce Ogawa retires.
2008: Medical Technology becomes a Department within John A. Burns School of Medicine.
2010: Department adopts 2+2 curriculum after a brief admission stop-out due to Statewide economic challenge.
2011: Formal international exchange program established with Niigata University of Health and Welfare, Japan. First group of Medical Technology students visit UHM in March 2012.