- M.S. (2006), University of Hawaii at Manoa
- B.S. (), ??
- Research Assistant, Department of Microbiology, University of Hawai'i. Investigating anti-infective and cytotoxic secondary metabolites in Hawaiian marine Fungi and yeasts (link to description, above). Participant in several Hawaii Ocean Time series (http://hahana.soest.hawaii.edu/hot/hot_jgofs.html)
- Honolulu Zoo Volunteer. Assisting primary Chimpanzee keeper e.g., cleaning, food preparation, feeding, assisting with lectures, enrichment programs, training, preparation of sleeping quarters.
- 02/04-08/04. Sea Life Park, Waimanalo, HI. Animal Trainer 1. Animal training, care, husbandry, interactive swim programs, public lectures, participating in daily shows. Also responsible for the rehabilitation and release of injured seabirds.
- 1/02-4/02. Education Intern, Dolphin Research Center, Grassy Key, Florida. Assisted in public education programs such as DolphinLab, and community outreaches. Taught coral reef seminars and workshops, and completed independent projects.
- 8/00-1/02. Research Asst., Dr. R Okuda, San Jose State University. Intern on cancer research at basic level. Conducted toxicity testing of algal products.
- 2005 - Recipient of Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research ($2000)
- Certified NAUI scuba diver
- CPR/First Aid Certified
- Mahdi LE, Statzell-Tallman A, Fell JW, Brown MV & SP Donachie (2008) Sympodiomycopsis lanaiensis sp. nov., a basidiomycetous yeast (Ustilaginomycotina: Microstromatales) from marine driftwood in Hawai'i. FEMS Yeast Res 8(8):1357-63.
- Mahdi L (2006) A Survey of Hawaiian Marine Fungi and Yeast. University of Hawai‘i, Manoa, Master's Degree Thesis.