- Ph.D. (2010), University of Hawaii at Manoa
- M.S. (), University of Hawaii at Manoa
- B.S. Biology, December 1995 Rutgers University, Cook College New Brunswick, NJ
- A.A. Liberal Arts, May 1991 Ocean County College, Toms River, NJ
- (2007-2009) Graduate Research Assistant, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, USA
- 1999 - 2002: Laboratory Technician/Manager, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. Isolation and maintenance of samples for natural products discovery; characterization of microbial populations and pure cultures through molecular techniques. PI - Dr. Richard Lutz
- 1998 - 1999: Laboratory Technician, Rutgers University. Fieldwork, and isolation of microorganisms. PI - Dr. Robert Vrijenhoek
- 1996 - 1998: Laboratory Technician, Rutgers University. Preparation of clone libraries from deep-sea hydrothermal vents; isolation and maintenance of aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms from vents; extraction of secondary metabolites from Bacteria and Archaea. Creation and maintenance of 16S rDNA sequence database. PI - Dr. Anna-Louise Reysenbach
- 1994 -1996: Laboratory Technician, Rutgers University. Profiled ribosomal gene dosage in marine bacteria. Assisted characterization of a NOS gene library. Maintained labware and stock solutions. PI - Dr. Lee Kerkhof
- Molecular genetic techniques, including DNA sequencing and sequence analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization; isolation and maintenance of aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms; laboratory management; skills training; PC, Mac, UNIX, Windows emulator, Adobe, GDE, AutoAssembler, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- 11/99 - 12/99 Research cruise aboard RV Atlantis (WHOI) to 9°N East Pacific Rise (hydrothermal vent field), 1 dive aboard DSV Alvin.
- 12/98 - 1/99 Research cruise aboard RV Atlantis (WHOI) to Southern East Pacific Rise off Easter Island, Chile, aboard DSV Alvin.
- 2/97 - 3/97 Research cruise aboard RV Thomas Thompson, (Seattle, WA) to Mariana Forearc Basin. Core sampling and ROV Jason work.
- 6/96 - Oceanographic sampling at LEO-15 sites, Tuckerton, NJ
- Winter 94 - Ocean sampling off Bay Head and Ocean Grove, NJ
- Vetriani C, M Speck, SV Ellor, RA Lutz & V Starovoytov (2004) Thermovibrio ammonificans sp. nov., a thermophilic, chemolithotrophic, nitrate-ammonifying bacterium from deep-sea hydrothermal vents. Int Journal of Systematic & Evolutionary Microbiology 54:175-181 [pdf]
- L'Haridon S, M Speck, C Vetriani, A-L. Reysenbach, D Prieur & C Jeanthon. (1998) The Desulfobacteriaceae, a new family of thermophilic bacteria from deep-sea hydrothermal vents. Thermophiles, Brest, France.
- Kerkhof L. & M Speck (1997) Ribosomal RNA gene dosage in marine bacteria. Molecular and Marine Biology and Biotechnology 6:260-267