James T. Douglas
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1977
Department of Microbiology
University of Hawai'i
2538 The Mall
Snyder 101 E
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-4639, Fax: 808-956-5339
Area of Research
Bacterial Diseases: Tuberculosis, Leprosy, Brucellosis; Leptospirosis. We are studying the pathogenesis of infectious diseases, with our major emphasis on tuberculosis, through molecular epidemiology by working with clinical isolates or their DNA from samples collected through out the Western Pacific. We also continue use and develop serodiagnostic tests for these difficult to diagnose bacterial diseases. These investigations require detection and recognition of specific molecules detected by their DNA sequences, monoclonal antibodies, or patient sera. Analysis of frequency and distribution of specific markers of pathogenesis associated with clinical isolates provides insight on the biology of these infectious diseases. In addition to these efforts, we also are evaluating potential antibiotics from environmental organisms.
- Qian, L., Abe, C., Lin, T., Yu, M. C., Cho, S. N. and Douglas, J. T. (2002). rpoB Genotypes in Drug-Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates from East Asian Countries. J. Clin. Microbiol. 40:1091-1094.
- Smith H, Basahi MA, Diaz R, Marrodan T, Douglas JT, Rocha A, Veerman J, Zheludkow MM, Witte OWM, de Jong J, Gussenhoven GC, Goris M GA, and van der Hoorn, MAWG. (1999) Development and Evaluation of a Rapid Dipstick Assay for Serodiagnosis of Acute Human Brucellosis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 37: 4179-4182.
- Weng X, Qian L, Zhu K, Li H and Douglas JT. (1999) Comparison of two methods for detection of M. leprae nasal carriage. Chinese Clin. J. Microbio. Immunol. 19:77-80
- Qian L, v. Embden JDA, v.d. Zanden AGM, Weltevereden EF, Duanmu H and Douglas JT. (1999) Retrospective Analysis of the Beijing Family of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Preserved Lung Tissues. J. Clin. Microbiol. 37: 471-474.
- Fujiwara, T., Minagawa, F, Sakamoto, Y. and Douglas, JT. (1997) Epitope Mapping of Twelve Monoclonal Antibodies Against the Phenolic Glycolipid-I of M. leprae. Int. J. Leprosy. 65:4, 477-486.
- Van Soolingen D, Qian L, de Haas PEW, JT Douglas, Enkhasaikan D, and van Embden JDA. (1995.) Predominance of a single clone of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in China and other countries in South East Asia. J. Clin. Microbiol. 33: 3234-3238.
- Cellona RV,Walsh GP, Fajardo TT Jr, Abalos RM, and Douglas, JT. (1993) Cross-sectional Assessment of ELISA reactivity in Leprosy Patients, Contacts, and Normal population using the Semisynthetic Antigen Natural Disaccharide Octyl Bovine Serum Albumin (ND-O-BSA) in Cebu, Philippines. Int. J. Lepr. 61: 192-8.
- de Wit MYL, Douglas JT, McFadden J and Klatser PR. (1993) Polymerase Chain Reaction For Detection of Mycobacterium leprae in Nasal Swab Specimens. J. Clin. Microbiol. 31:502-506.
- Barihuta T, Rigouts L, Barette M, Colllard JP, De Bruyn J, Kadende P, Kamamfu G, Douglas JT, and Portaels F. (1993) Rapid, Early and Specific Diagnosis of Tuberculosis and other Mycobacterial Diseases in Burundi. Ann. Soc. Belg. Med. Trop., 73(Suppl. 1): 41-51.
- Palmer CJ, Schorder P, Fujioka RS, and Douglas, JT. (1991) Staphylococcal infection in Dolphins. J. Zoo and Wildlife Med. 22:330-338.
- Douglas, J.T., D.S. Hirsch, T.T. Fajardo, L.S. Guido, and P.R. Klatser. (1990.) Serological monitoring of previously treated lepromatous patients during the course of multiple treatments with heat killed M. leprae and BCG. J. Exp. Immunology. 82:567-573.
- Douglas, J.T., D.S. Hirsch, T.T. Fajardo, R.V. Cellona, R.M. Abalos, E.C. Dela Cruz, M.G. Madarang, M.Y.L. de Wit, and P.R. Klatser. (1989.) Evaluation of M. leprae antigens in the serological monitoring of a clofazammine based chemotherapeutic study of dapsone resistant lepromatous leprosy patients in Cebu, Philippines. Leprosy Review. 60:8-16.
- Palmer, D.A. and J.T. Douglas. (1989.) Analysis of Brucella lipopolysaccharide with specific and cross-reacting monoclonal antibodies. J. Clin. Microbiol. 27:2331-2337.
- Lishi Qian Douglas(Postdoctoral Fellow)