This video is an introduction to placement exams for College of Natural Sciences students.
Incoming Student Placement Exams
Chemistry and Math Placement Exams
Placement Exam Evaluation
Nearly every College of Natural Sciences undergraduate program requires chemistry and mathematics courses.
Placement exams are strongly recommended and are designed to place you into the courses that will give you the foundational knowledge you need to succeed. They should be completed before the start of your first semester.
Pre-Calc: Elementary Functions (MATH 134)*
Pre-Calc: Trig/Analytic Geometry (MATH 140)
Applied Calculus I (MATH 215)
Calculus I (MATH 241)
Accelerated Calculus (MATH 251A)**
* Anyone may enroll in MATH 134. To enroll in MATH 140, 215, or 241, you must take the Placement Exam, or otherwise qualify to enroll in the course.
**Contact the for approval.
Which Exams Do I Need? Which Courses are Recommended?
- Watch the video about placement exams at the top of this webpage.
- Visit the respective placement exam webpages to check when you can take your exams. Remember that online options are available – exams can be completed before you arrive on campus.
- Complete the appropriate placement exams for your major, and write down which courses you placed into.
- Watch the video below to determine what your next steps are.
Tips for Success
The video on the right explains some tips for taking the Chemistry and Mathematics placement exams, as well as some recommendations in case you don’t place into the classes you were hoping to.
Every College of Natural Science student must complete second language courses through the 202-level (intermediate proficiency). The University of Hawai’i system offers over 20 different language options for students to choose from.
If you have experience in a second language, you will likely be taking a second language placement exam at some point during your college career. Ask your academic advisor when in your academic journey would be most appropriate to begin second language courses.
This exam is not as urgent as the Chemistry and Mathematics placement exams, so please focus on those first.
If you have AP credit, are fluent in a non-English language, or if you have other concerns, speak with your academic advisor.
Math Boot Camp
The Math Boot Camp is for students who:
- want to review math concepts prior to taking the math placement exam
- already took the math placement exam but want to place higher
- passed the exam but want to bridge high school and college math courses with a review
Registration for the 2018 Boot Camp is currently TBA.
Visit the Math Boot Camp website to learn more and register when registration is open.
Early Start Program
The Early Start Program is a great way you to get started on the right foot and acquaint yourself with campus without a full course load. It allows you to take college-level courses before beginning your freshman year during the second half of summer.
If you placed into CHEM 131, MATH 134, or MATH 140, but are recommended to begin in a higher level course, this is a great way to begin your Fall semester in the recommended course for your major.
Did you place into the correct courses the first time around? Great! If you’re still interested in the Early Start Program, you can get a head start on your major coursework and ease into the college experience.
The registration deadline for the Early Start Program is May 15.
Visit the Early Start Program website to learn more and register.