Reduced operations during holiday break

December 16, 2011  |   |  19 Comments
Print Friendly

UH Bachman Hall

The University of Hawaiʻi System offices and campuses statewide will be reducing or suspending operations on non-instructional days from December 17, 2011–January 2, 2012. The reduction in operations is in support of continuing efforts to reduce energy consumption and recover cost savings.

Monday, Dec. 26, and Monday, Jan. 2, are state holidays and all offices will be closed on those days.

See the UH System Reduced Campus Operations webpage with more details and specific information on how individual campus functions and activities may be affected.

Related Posts:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Community

Comments (19)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jim Poole says:

We have shut down each of he UH System Campuses for the last three years. Has the System collected data that shows the dollar figure on how much we have saved. If it has, it should be published. Note that I am not asking for estimates, but actual dollar savings.

• UH News staff says:

Hi Jim,

Given the complexity and scope of the reduced operations period, I’m guessing these numbers are not easily at hand.

However, it’s a very fair question. I have forwarded it to some folks that may be able to address it, and will post here if I get a response.

2. ed 9 says:

I can understand a holiday shut down but the message below is kind of alarming. It seems since google ʻtook overʻ things have been a little hinky and I donʻt feel like my information is more secure. In fact, it feels like the opposite. Googleʻs taken all our UH business and thrown it into the cloud; I never wanted my life in the cloud but it seems we have NO OPTIONS…

“This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
    securely to http://www.star.hawaii.edu:10012, but we can’t confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
    sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site’s identity can’t be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
    trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn’t continue.

Technical Details
    http://www.star.hawaii.edu:10012 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 12/17/11 1:59 PM. The current time is 12/18/11 4:16 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)”

3. @ed 9

The problem has been resolved:

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Google does not manage the STAR system.

Sincerely,

ITS Help Desk

4. Matt says:

what if we need to get in contact with the office who handles the transcripts, because the deadline for the Uh-Manoa application is Jan. 5th?….will they be open at all?

5. Russell says:

Aloha, will this also affect the “add/drop” classes feature on myuh.hawaii.edu?

In respect to the add/drop a class menu:
    I have noticed there is no pull-down menu to “drop” a class in the “action” column at the left for Spring 2011, whereas in the past- this feature was available to me before classes began.

Thanks,

Russell

• UH News staff says:

Hi Russell,

Not sure. Based on the message on the MyUH home page http://myuh.hawaii.edu, it seems that some parts of MyUH are indeed not available over the break.

It is not clear to me if this includes the Add/Drop feature, or if there is some other reason you are unable to use it.

You might want to follow the Help link within MyUH to the Support form, where you could ask your question of someone working on MyUH (we do not have access to this application).

Thank you.

6. Terrie Lazarus says:

If anyone is on financial aid like me I was told not to expect
    the disbursement that shows Dec 30 as there is no one there to
    let it go through. I was told the earliest will probably be Weds 1/4
    which doesn’t leave a lot of room for getting books and etc before
    classes start

• Gayle says:

Somebody IS working because my financial is processing. I’m very thankful because I really need it.

• Neh says:

The funds were disbursed, but the real question is: “When will the refund be processed?” Hope we don’t have to wait for the 3rd before someone pushes that button…

• Brian says:

Yup, same situation here. I had planned my financials around the December 30th date but now am stressing to manipulate funds to get everything in order. What is the exact date that funds will be processed? Very irresponsible oversight.

7. roman druker says:

I’m trying to find a schedule of events–when is the first week of instruction

8. Bre says:

I’m having the same problem. I was supposed to get my financial aid 12/30 I understand the delay because of the holiday weekend but that should have been considered before estimating when we’d receive financial aid. I have $400 worth of books to get and classes start on 1/9. For me this delay is cutting it way too close and I’m sure it’s they same for others who depend on financial aid to be able afford to go to school.

9. Titus Pullo says:

Disbursement of financial aide on the 30th does not mean you get money on that day. That’s the day the University gets the money. Historically, for me, it has taken roughly 3 working days for refunds to process after I get the email telling me a refund is on the way. I got that email yesterday, so I am looking at the 5th or 6th for the money to be in my account at American Savings, plenty of time to do the things I need to do. You guys really don’t need you r books on the first day of classes anyway, these are the short days of intros and handing out of essential information. So, everyone, take a deep breath and think “island”, you’ll all be fine.

• Brian says:

You need to speak for yourself, some people use the funds for more than just tuition and books. Personally, I use the funds to help pay for housing, meals, and other situations which are critically dependent on prompt processing. Many are not privileged to be so nonchalant.

• Neh says:

Well said, Brian. I also use these funds to “survive” while in school; so, delays can be detrimental. Also, reading ahead for the first week of classes is recommended and integral for success – which is why it helps to have books early; especially with book rentals which can require time for shipping.