Pearl Harbor Apprenticeship Program seeks applicants

April 11, 2012  |   |  16 Comments
Print Friendly

Two workers painting a ship's hull

Apprentices in the Honolulu Community College and Pearl Harbor Apprenticeship Program are on the job at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.

For the last 10 years, Honolulu Community College has partnered with the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in training apprentices to become journeyman mechanics for the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.

The Pearl Harbor Apprenticeship Program is a four-year, work-study program that provides opportunities for selected trainees to work alongside journeymen and receive trade theory training while working toward an associate in applied science degree from Honolulu Community College. After earning their degree during the first two years, the trainees continue for two years as apprentices until they graduate as journeyman mechanics.

Recruitment for the 2013 class will take place at the annual Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility Apprentice Career Fair on Saturday, April 14, 8 a.m.–noon at Honolulu Community College’s courtyard between Building 5 and the cafeteria.

Approximately 100 spots are open each year for the program. The average starting pay is $19 an hour. At the end of four years, apprentice program graduates will earn $28 or more an hour.

Candidate requirements

• Be a United States citizen
  • Be 18 years of age by January 2013
  • Be a high school graduate or have a GED
  • Pass a physical exam, a security clearance and a Work Readiness Test

Applications for the program will be available on the federal government’s official jobs website and additional information can be found on the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility website. It is highly recommended that applicants attend the career fair to learn more about the program and the positions available.

Through the Pearl Harbor Apprenticeship Program, Honolulu Community College has graduated more than 2,000 student apprentices who help carry out the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard’s mission of repairing and maintaining U.S. Navy ships and submarines.

Tags: ,

Category: Academic News

Comments (16)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Stephanie Carnahan says:

How can I better my chances of being accepted out of the other thousands of people who are applying?

• Kristen Bonilla says:

Hi Stephanie,

Jeannie Shaw, education coordinator for the Pearl Harbor Apprenticeship Program, provided this response to your question:

“The first step is to build a resume on usajobs.gov. An application to be filled out on usajobs.gov will be available at the end of May. If you place on the work readiness test, an interview will be granted. If you make the interview process, the next step is to go through preprocessing which includes security clearance, physical, and college application. If you place on your test, be positive in your interview and let Pearl Harbor know that you really want to work for Pearl Harbor in the Shipyard.”

Good luck!

2. Veronica Dembicki says:

What are the actual job positions they are filling and where?

3. Dustin Elisara says:

Does this opportunity open up every year? If it is, I plan on doing this after I graduate at Manoa and use up my football eligibility by 2015. This is something I am VERY interested in doing.

4. Ridge Newcom says:

I tried applying today on usajobs and i couldn’t find the apprenticeship in the job search. Today is may 25,2012 and it is the last day to sign up. Could it be that they have already taken down the link for the application process?

5. Z Tanaka says:

Is there any study guide to help prepare me for the OPM test?

6. Peter Khan says:

Hi Stephanie,

I am currently residing in New Zealand and planning to move back to Honolulu in Jan 2013. I am interested in the Apprenticeship Prog. Can you pls provide me with more info. regarding the application process. I have resume already built on usajobs website. I am a US citizen. Pls advise.

Thx
    Peter.

7. Bryson says:

July 20, 2012 was the last testing day for everyone to take the OPM test. Do you know when we should be expected to get an interview?

8. foa says:

When are we getting back our Test results?

• shua says:

I’d like to know this too. I got an email saying the interview dates are from august 18 to september 14 but dont even know yet if my test results were passing

• UH News staff says:

Honolulu Community College’s Pearl Harbor Apprentice Coordinator Jeannie Shaw may be able to help you with your questions. You can reach her at (808) 845-9492 or (808) 473-8000, x6290, or email her at jeanshaw@hawaii.edu.

9. Kailuagirl says:

Did the interview process change?