Cancer center project under budget and more in the news
The University of Hawaiʻi Cancer Center has entered its final construction phase under budget, leaving room to build an extension.
As reported recently by Pacific Business News, the original construction contract budgeted $119 million for the center but ended up costing $103 million.
The new 150,000 square-foot facility will be comprised of two buildings connected by an open-air lobby and central staircase. Materials will include a glass and steel exterior with warm interior finishes including tile, wood and glass.
A highlight will be a large two-story space on the ground level for hosting community and educational events. Additional meeting and conference rooms will be scattered throughout to encourage collaboration and conversation between colleagues.
The building also features many environmentally-friendly and sustainable features and is scheduled to open in February 2013.
Read the latest construction update on the UH Cancer Center’s website for more details.
UH in the News for October 26–November 1, 2012
- Hawaii Business, November 1, 2012: “Archaeologist Windy Keala McElroy talks about her job”
- Hawaii News Now, November 1, 2012: “UH Regents to reconsider Donovan settlement at special Nov. 7 meeting”
- Hawaii Reporter, November 1, 2012: “Island Holdings Appoints Keith Amemiya as Senior Vice President”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser, November 1, 2012: “UH regents’ administrator leaving for the private sector”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser, November 1, 2012: “Regents to discuss Greenwood’s job, Donovan’s settlement”
- Hawaii 24/7, October 31, 2012: “UH Hilo’s English Language Institute receives accreditation”
- Hawaii 24/7, October 30, 2012: “UH Hilo awarded NSF grant to promote female STEM faculty”
- Hawaii News Now, October 30, 2012: “Poll gives UH officials low marks, shows legislative oversight has support”
- Hawaii Reporter, October 30, 2012: “UH graduate student named nation’s top electrical engineering student”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser, October 30, 2012: “Concert fiasco sinks public’s view of UH officials in poll”
- The Maui News, October 30, 2012: “Student killed after being struck by SUV; speed, alcohol suspected”
- Mesothelioma News, October 30, 2012: “Skin spots may act as an early detection indicator for mesothelioma patients”
- Hawaii 24/7, October 29, 2012: “Study explains the connection between Hawaii’s dueling volcanoes”
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser, October 29, 2012: “Hanabusa tops Djou in survey” (subscription required)
- Maui Now, October 29, 2012: “Aaron Loque named Maui District Teacher of the Year”
- RedOrbit, October 29, 2012: “Rainfall in the South Pacific could become difficult to predict”
- Science Daily, October 28, 2012: “Uncertainty of future South Pacific island rainfall explained”
- Hawaii 24/7, October 27, 2012: “UH Hilo’s Education Dept. is now School of Education”
- Hawaii 24/7, October 26, 2012: “USDA grants to train, support next generation of farmers”
- Hawaii News Now, October 26, 2012: “EXCLUSIVE: Potential research loss from UH lab problems could reach $159K”
- Hawaii News Now, October 26, 2012: “UH agrees to terms with firm in AD search”
- Hawaii Reporter, October 26, 2012: “University of Hawaii Chancellor Apple on University ‘Wonder Blunder’ fiasco: ‘Let’s Get This Behind Us’”
- KHON, October 26, 2012: “UH President spends from lucrative donor accounts”
- The Maui News, October 26, 2012: “Entwined in ag education”
- Anonymous donor makes $9.2 million gift to UH
- More-affordable legacies at UH and more in the news
- Photos: We love our UH grads!
- UH celebrates at spring commencements
- New satellite facility in operation and more in the news