Hamilton Library features paddling art exhibit
The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Library announces the installation of an exhibit celebrating Hoena Wale Nō, the Hawaiʻi team sport of paddling. The exhibit is on display at Hamilton Library’s Bridge Gallery through December 14, 2012.
With the long-distance paddling season coming to a close, marked by the Na Wahine o ke Kai and Molokaʻi Hoe races, the exhibit celebrates Hawaiʻi’s paddling traditions and honors those water men and women who perpetuate this ocean heritage.
The Hoena Wale Nō exhibit is organized into five sections:
- I ka waʻa kahiko—Of the ancient canoe
- E lauhoe mai na waʻa—Paddle together
- Na waʻa noa—New paddling traditions
- Na kanaka o ke kai—People of the water
- Hoʻike hoena—Paddling competitions
The exhibit is free and open to the public. Parking is free on Sundays.
For more information, please contact Teri Skillman by (808) 956-8688 or email.