The University of Hawaiʻi is reaching out to Native Hawaiians across the state who want to pursue a college education. The effort is part of a statewide initiative to bring Native Hawaiian scholarship opportunities to underserved communities in Hawaiʻi.
In that spirit, UH has partnered with the Office of Hawaiian Affairs and GEAR UP Hawaiʻi to present the 2012-2013 Native Hawaiian Scholarship ʻAha, a series of free presentations for high school students, parents, teachers, current college students, adult students, counselors or anyone interested in learning about the resources and financial aid available to Native Hawaiian students.
There will also be a brief workshop on filling out financial aid applications and strategies on earning scholarships.
“It opened my eyes to the huge support system that is available for Native Hawaiians by Native Hawaiians,” said Ilima Ho Lastimosa, a Hawaiian studies student at UH Mānoa who has attended previous scholarship workshops.
Other community partners supporting the workshops include the Native Hawaiian Education Association, Kamehameha Schools and the Pacific Financial Aid Association.
Schedule for 2012–2013 workshops
The first of 18 presentations is scheduled for November 27, 2012 in Waimea, Hawaiʻi. The presentations continue through January 2013.
- Mānoa: November 30, 2012, UH Mānoa Campus Center, 10:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Kahuku: December 4, 2012, Kahuku High School Cafeteria, 6–8 p.m.
- Kāneʻohe: December 5, 2012, Windward Community College, Hale ʻĀkoakoa 101, 6–8:30 p.m.
- Kalihi: December 6, 2012, Honolulu Community College Loui Center, 6–8 p.m.
- Waiʻanae: January 8, 2013, Waiʻanae High School Cafeteria, 6–8 p.m.
- Waimānalo: January 10, 2013, Ka Hoʻoilina Na Kuhio Community Center, 6–8 p.m.
- Kapolei: January 15, 2013, UH West Oʻahu Student Center, 6–8 p.m.
- Papakōlea: January 22, 2013, Roosevelt High School Cafeteria, 5:30–8 p.m.
- Pearl City / ʻEwa: January 23, 2013, Leeward Community College Campus Center, 3–5 p.m.
- Kaimuki / Kahala: January 24, 2013, Kapiʻolani Community College Dining Hall, 6–8 p.m.
- Waimea: November 27, 2012, Hawaiian Homes Hall, 6–8 p.m.
- Kona: November 28, 2012, Kealakehe High School Cafeteria, 6–8 p.m.
- Hilo: November 29, 2012, UH Hilo Campus Center Dining Room, 6–8 p.m.
- Kahului: December 12, 2012, UH Maui College, Pilina Building, 6–8 p.m.
- Molokaʻi: December 13, 2012, Kūlana ʻŌiwi, 5:30–8:30 p.m.
- Hana: January 9, 2013, Hana School Cafeteria, 6–8 p.m.
- Lānaʻi: January 16, 2013, Lānaʻi School Cafeteria, 6–8 p.m.
- Lihuʻe: December 11, 2012, Kauaʻi Community College Dining Room, 5:30–8 p.m.