Hawaii joins national network to advance student success
The University of Hawaiʻi Community Colleges will lead Hawaiʻi’s participation in the network with the goal of implementing long-lasting reforms so more students can earn a market-valued credential.
The other states announced recently include Connecticut, Oklahoma, Massachusetts and Virginia.
Accelerating community college success and completion
The Postsecondary State Policy Network is a multi-state collaboration committed to advancing state policy agendas that accelerate community college student success and completion. The network’s objective is two-fold—to help states design administrative, system and legislative policies that support institutional reform strategies; and to spread across the states the lessons and models emerging from efforts to define effective and efficient student pathways to completion.
In the coming year, Achieving the Dream supported states, including Hawai‘i, will pursue a range of evidence-based reform initiatives, from piloting performance-based scholarships and improving transfer success, to fundamentally transforming the delivery of developmental education. These reforms are crucial in meeting the national demand for a more college-educated citizenry.
Hawaiʻi has identified the following major evidenced-based reform initiatives for the coming year that align with and augment the Network’s goals of accelerating state-level innovation and policy action to improve student success and completion—
- Improve graduation success of part-time students
- Increase transfer success, including automatic admissions at the University of Hawaiʻi four-year institutions for community college students, reverse transfer, dual enrollment, and reducing time to completion
Read the news release.
- Record number of UH graduates
- UH Community Colleges 50 years and counting
- UH’s 15 to Finish initiative gains local, national traction
- Students receive free textbooks as part of 15 to Finish initiative
- $225K iPASS grant helps Honolulu CC students succeed in STEM