Monique Chyba receives science and lectureship award
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Professor of Mathematics Monique Chyba received the Science and Lectureship Award from Chiba University in December for her research contributions to applied mathematics. The ceremony was held at the University of Chiba.
Prior to the ceremony, Chyba gave a lecture entitled “A Journey in Space and Underwater” on control theory and its applications.
She discussed three main projects ongoing at the University of Hawaiʻi that demonstrate successful partnerships within the university between the Department of Mathematics, the College of Engineering, the Institute of Astronomy and the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.
Chyba is now trying to develop an exchange program for mathematics students between the University of Chiba and the University of Hawaiʻi. Two undergraduate students selected by a competition from the University of Chiba should be visiting the UH Mānoa mathematics department in September 2014 for one month.
- Simons Foundation awards grants to UH Mānoa mathematics professors
- UH astronomer shares $3 million Breakthrough Prize
- Assistant professor wins CAREER award for research on cosmic rays
- Grants awarded for zooplankton research
- Alice Ball scholarship honors pioneering chemist in fight against Hansen’s disease