$98.6 million raised to support University of Hawaii success
The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation announced that thanks to donors’ generosity, $98,583,866 was raised in fiscal year 2014 (July 1, 2013–June 30, 2014) to support University of Hawaiʻi students, faculty, research and programs on all 10 UH campuses.
UH News video: Largest ever private award to UH
funds microbial oceanography research
This record-breaking achievement was thanks in large part to the Simons Foundation and its $40 million award to Edward DeLong and David Karl, both UH Mānoa professors in the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, to lead the Simons Collaboration on Ocean Processes and Ecology (SCOPE). This was the largest private foundation gift UH has ever received.
“On behalf of the students and faculty on all 10 campuses who benefit every day from our donors’ strategic philanthropic investments, mahalo nui loa,” said Donna Vuchinich, president and CEO, UH Foundation. She continued, “Every day these gifts to UH open doors of opportunity to promising students, fuel meaningful research and innovation, teaching excellence, and programs that enrich our communities in so many ways. We are humbled by our donors’ generosity, and honored to serve as their philanthropic partner, and steward of their legacies.”
Ronald Ho, UH Foundation board chair concluded, “We are tremendously grateful to our donors and UH colleagues who are working together to help us address the challenges our state faces, and make the most out of innovation and research opportunities. We look forward to the year ahead, and building on this fundraising momentum to grow critical private support for Hawaiʻi’s university.”
- Of the $58.6 million raised (total without Simons Foundation gift), nearly 60 percent of funds raised came from local Hawaiʻi corporations, foundations and individuals.
- Since 2002, the UH Foundation has raised nearly $700 million to support UH programs and students.
- Ninety-nine percent of gifts raised are donor-directed. This means that donors decide how and where their gifts are used.
Chart below shows the areas donors chose to support when making their FY2014 gifts
Chart below shows who the donors were and how much they gave
- Scholarship recipients thank their benefactors
- Distinguished UH alumni honored
- Historic $100 million gift presented to Shidler College of Business
- Ocean Station ALOHA designated a Milestones in Microbiology site
- Anonymous donor makes $9.2 million gift to UH