Honolulu Community College Hawaiian Studies instructor and navigator for the Hōkūleʻa, Kaʻiulani Murphy, and navigator-in-training Jason Patterson, student at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa are featured in the most recent episode of Voice of the Sea: Navigating the Hokuleʻa. The episode, which premiered on K5 the Home Team on May 10, will re-air on August 9 and September 27.
- VIDEO: Voice of the Sea: Navigating the Hōkūleʻa, May 10, 2015
During the episode, they talk in detail about the role of the navigator and traditional methods of wayfinding, a system of celestial non-instrument navigation. Murphy is one of a handful of navigators that will be traveling throughout the Mālama Honua World Wide Voyage that will circumvent the globe through 2017.
Several faculty and students throughout the university are currently in Tahiti to bring Hōkūleʻa’s escort vessel, Hikianalia back home to the Marine Education and Training Center (METC) at Honolulu CC. Hikianalia will reunite with Hōkūleʻa in the final year of the voyage to sail together back home.
UH crew members
- Bob Perkins, Honolulu CC METC director
- Mark Keala Kimura, Honolulu CC METC
- Nakua Lind, Honolulu CC MARR alumnus
- Jason Patterson, undergraduate student, UH Mānoa
- Kekai Lee, graduate student, UH Mānoa
- Kaohi Kamalu, Honolulu CC alumnus