Volleyball standout Marley Strand-Nicolaisen was named the Female Athlete of the Year, basketball star Parker Farris was named the Male Athlete of the Year and the Vulcan men’s tennis team was selected as the Team of the Year during the 2016–17 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo All-Sports Banquet held on May 2.
Strand-Nicolaisen, the local product from Kaʻu, was a First Team All-Pacific West Conference selection last fall, the first for a UH Hilo player since 2011. A four-year starter, the six-foot outside hitter finished with 1,241 kills, including a career-best 31 in her final collegiate match. She was named the AVCA Division II National Player of the Week for her efforts.
Farris, a 6-foot-5 senior guard, leaves campus with eight school records, including the mark for best scoring average in a season (23.3). He also saved his best for last, throwing in 47 points in his final college basketball game to break the single-game scoring record. He finished eighth in the country in scoring.
The UH Hilo men’s tennis team, under head coach Tina McDermott, more than doubled their win total from the previous year. The Vulcans went from 6-11 in 2016 to 13-11 this spring, capturing third place at the PacWest Championships. They finished the year ranked fifth in the NCAA West Region and were listed 34th nationally.
The senior class from each sport was honored, with a representative speaking from each team. A Pono Vulcan was selected by his or her teammates—pono meaning righteous and inspirational.
“This is one of our great nights of the year,” said UH Hilo Athletic Director Patrick Guillen. “It’s an honor to share the accomplishments of our student-athletes with our staff, coaches, sponsors and booster club members. We are proud of all that they have accomplished this year.”
Additional awards presented
- Kokua Award/Volunteers of the Year: James Hirayama and Lynette Egusa
- Vulcan Athletic Club Booster of the Year: Kona Moran
- Community Engagement and Service Award: Baseball, Men’s and Women’s Soccer
- Sakai and Harue Wakakuwa Female Scholar Athlete of the Year: Kailia Buchanan, Soccer
- Joe and Harriett Estrella Male Scholar Athlete of the Year: Micah Carter, Baseball
- Ramon Goya Academic Team of the Year: Women’s Cross Country, 3.24 GPA
Highest grade point average on their team
- Baseball: Micah Carter
- Men’s Basketball: Brian Ishola
- Men’s Golf: Patrick Taylor
- Men’s Soccer: Daniel Baumgartner
- Men’s Tennis: Gregory Zukeran
- Softball: Kristen Ishii
- Women’s Basketball: Lauren Hong
- Women’s Golf: Andi Igawa
- Women’s Soccer: Kailah Buchanan
- Women’s Tennis: Anne Carsey
- Volleyball: Trixie Croad
- Cross Country: Anna Baker Mikkelsen
- Baseball: Kamalu Komoku
- Men’s Basketball: Eric Wattree
- Men’s Golf: Taylor Patrick
- Men’s Soccer: Kyran Johal
- Men’s Tennis: Daniel Tada
- Softball: Kayla Requelman
- Women’s Basketball: Kim Schmelz
- Women’s Golf: Andi Igawa
- Women’s Soccer: Tiera Arakawa
- Women’s Tennis: Kinsey Volkart
- Volleyball: Sienna Davis
- Cross Country: Kaylee Rapoza