International Educational Week at UH Hilo and Hawaii Community CollegeUniversity of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
Director Media Relations
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College are celebrating International Education Week Monday through Friday, November 17-21. The theme this year is "Experience South Asia: A Journey Awaits You!"
The public is invited to numerous special events and activities on campus. Admission is free, but there is a $3 parking fee for events held during the day on the UH Hilo campus. Parking is free on the Manono Campus. A few of the events include:
- More than Madrassas: Pakistan and Ecotourism. UH Hilo Geography Professor Dr. Kathryn Besio talks about the rich diversity of Northern Pakistan‘s people and landscapes, Monday, November 17, 11 a.m., UCB 127
- Timor-Leste Exposed!: UH Hilo students from the world‘s newest nation, formerly East Timor, will share their country‘s history, politics and country, as well as gripping personal experience during the recent independence and post-independence moments, Monday, November 17, 3-4 p.m., Campus Center 301
- Sky Stories of the Pacific Asian Cultures. Gary Fujihara uses the ʻImiloa Planetarium dome‘s "sky" for a night of Pacific Asian stories, folklore and mythology, Monday, November 17, 6:30 p.m. Limited seating.
- South Asian Food, Fashion and Body Art. A sweet sampling of South Asian tea and desserts, sari wrapping and traditional Henna body art, Tuesday, November 18, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Campus Center 301
- International Flair. Craft fair by campus student clubs and the fair trade organization Ten Thousand Villages, Wednesday, November 19, 10-2 p.m., Campus Center Plaza
For a complete listing of events visit www.uhh.hawaii.hawaii.edu/news/press/view/742/
In addition, the Campus Center Cafeteria (Sodexho) is featuring a special international food menu with a South Asian theme all week from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. And the Ohana Café will offer a special international food menu, with a South Asian theme Wednesday to Friday, November 19 to 21, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on the HawCC Manono Campus.
International Educational Week is a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to promote global exchange and cultural awareness. Community organizations that have donated their resources to this event include: Subaru Telescope, ʻImiloa Astronomy Center of Hawaiʻi, Pacific and Asian Affairs Council, ASUH-Hawaiʻi Community College Student Government, Hawaiʻi Community College Vice Chancellor, KTA, Office Max, Café 100, Starbucks, Big Island Candies, Lighthaus Camera, Balancing Monkey and Nick Chang.
For more information, contact the UH Hilo‘s Center for Global Education and Exchange at 933-8810 or e-mail email@example.com.