News@UH

University of Hawaii System newsletter

Gift Builds Entrepreneurial Programs at Shidler

Posted on | October 22, 2010 | Comments Off

group of people

From left, PACE Director Susan Yamada, Sharon Weiner, Business Dean Vance Roley and Manoa Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw.

Honolulu business executive Sharon Weiner hopes to encourage entrepreneurial activity at the University of Hawaiʻi through the establishment of The Sharon Weiner Startsmart Entrepreneurship Endowment at the Shidler College of Business Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship. Of the $150,000 gift from Weiner, $50,000 will be used to support PACE programs, and an additional $100,000 will go toward her endowment to develop entrepreneurial programs for students and faculty.

Weiner came to Hawaiʻi in 1973 and enrolled in the UH Executive MBA program at Mānoa campus, graduating in 1975. She began her career in the islands at C. Brewer and Co. working as a public relations manager. In 1979, she ventured out on her own to form Stryker Weiner Associates Inc., which became one of the largest independent public relations agencies in the state. In 2000, Weiner sold her firm and joined DFS Hawaiʻi as group vice president in charge of the company’s international global communications and government relations in Hawaiʻi.

Weiner has included a substantial gift to the Shidler College of Business from her estate so the program will be perpetuated. “Helping those in the university community start their own enterprises reflects my personal interests: encouraging the development of entrepreneurs and, at the same time, supporting the university that gave me my own start in my career in Hawaiʻi,” says Weiner. “I cannot imagine that I could have started a successful consultancy in Hawaiʻi without my UH MBA, and the personal contacts it gave me over the years. Hawaiʻi has been very generous to me and, in this small way, I hope to repay that generosity.”

Read the news release.

Comments