News@UH

University of Hawaii System newsletter

Cartwright Receives Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted on | August 18, 2011 | Comments Off

Brenda Cartwright headshot

Mānoa College of Education Professor Brenda Y. Cartwright received the Virgie Winston-Smith Lifetime Achievement Award at the National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns 18th Annual Training Conference in July. Cartwright was recognized for her distinguished career in support of rehabilitation and multicultural issues.

“Probably most significant in Dr. Cartwright’s career is her commitment to facilitating the growth and development of other minority professionals,” Robert McConnell, assistant professor at Western Michigan University, wrote in his letter of nomination. “This is seen in the number of new rehabilitation educators she has taken under her wing and who regard her as mentor, assisting them with tenure track coaching, inviting them to publish with her, or giving ‘tough love’ to facilitate their growth.”

In her acceptance speech, Cartwright declared, “I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I know there is a vision for my life that is greater than my imagination can hold. I will continue to be used in whatever ways are necessary to ensure that people of color can fulfill their God-given visions. I thank you for this award because it encourages me to run on and see what more I can do.”

Named in memory of Virgie Winston-Smith, a longtime member and advocate of NAMRC, the award signifies the breadth and quality of work, as well as the longevity and perseverance of attention to multicultural issues in rehabilitation over a lifetime of service.

Read the news release.

Comments