*Click on above for PDF of 2016 application form and info sheet
NATIVE HAWAIIAN STUDENT PATHWAY TO MEDICINE
FALL 2016 INFORMATION
APPLICATION DEADLINES EXTENDED
* To be considered for early acceptance, email (or postmark) application by July 29, 2016.
* Final deadline to email (or postmark) application is MONDAY, AUGUST 8, 2016.
The Native Hawaiian Student Pathway to Medicine (NHSPM) is a program of the Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence (NHCOE) at Department of Native Hawaiian Health, University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM). The NHSPM program guides Native Hawaiian students on their path to becoming future physicians and health professionals. The curriculum consists of workshops and individualized advising/career counseling for selected individuals who demonstrate potential to be competitive medical school or pre-health applicants. There will be opportunities to do community health work and to apply for funding for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prep.
NEIGHBOR ISLAND APPLICANTS are welcomed to apply! We may have travel stipends for Neighbor Island students to come to Oahu for NHSPM workshops.
Up to 20 participants will be selected and will receive the following:
- Learning from Native Hawaiian health professionals and med students
- Navigating the medical school application process
- Interview skills / Mock interview practice
- Learning skills & strategies
- Community health work: Inspiring Native Hawaiian youth to live healthy
Individualized Advising / Career Counseling
- Discuss diverse options in the health professions and your career path
- Discuss your medical school application strategy
- Review your personal statement, application, grades, and MCAT scores
- Receive assistance with clinical shadowing opportunities
Opportunity to apply for NHCOE funding for MCAT Prep
- Test taking strategies
- Course materials
- Full length MCAT practice exams
- Selected participants must commit to participating in all 4 workshops that are tentatively scheduled as follows:
Workshop #1 Saturday, August 20, 2016
Workshop #2 Saturday, September 17, 2016
Workshop #3 Saturday, October 22, 2016
Workshop #4 Saturday, November 12, 2016
- Selected participants must commit to scheduling NHCOE individualized advising appointments at least once every 6 months.
- Before taking the MCAT exam, NHSPM students must agree to complete at least 3 months of weekly MCAT prep either in a prep program or on their own.
- If selected for NHSPM, participants who meet criteria will be eligible to apply for NHCOE funding to assist with the cost of their MCAT prep. NHCOE funding recipients will agree to pay $200 toward their MCAT prep.
- Preference given to Native Hawaiian applicants
- Pre-med Student: Applying to University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM) hoping to enter medical school in July 2017, 2018, or 2019
- College Junior or Senior by Spring 2017. College graduates from any institution (with Bachelor’s degree or higher) are welcome to apply.
- Completed at least 3 of the following pre-requisite subjects for taking the MCAT (2 semesters per subject with labs). We strongly recommend re-taking any of these classes if you received less than a C- grade.
Submit Application to Both: firstname.lastname@example.org + email@example.com
Please label all emails: “(Your Name) NHSPM Application”