** Deadline extended to January 29, 2014. See cover page and application below.
The Native Hawaiian Student Pathway to Medicine (NHSPM) is a program of the Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence (NHCOE) at the Department of Native Hawaiian Health, University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM). The NHSPM program guides Native Hawaiian students on their path to becoming future physicians and health professionals. The curriculum consists of premedical workshops and individualized advising/career counseling for selected individuals who demonstrate potential to be competitive medical school or pre-health applicants. There will be opportunities to do community health work and to apply for a Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prep stipend.
NEIGHBOR ISLAND APPLICANTS are welcomed to apply! We may have travel stipends for Neighbor Island students to come to Oahu for monthly NHSPM workshops.
Up to 20 participants will be selected and will receive the following:
Monthly Workshop Series
- Learning from Native Hawaiian healers and health professionals
- Navigating the medical school application process
- Interview skills / Mock interview practice
- Learning skills & strategies
- Community health work: Inspiring Native Hawaiian youth to live healthy
Individualized Advising / Career Counseling
- Discuss diverse options in the health professions and your career path
- Discuss your medical school application strategy
- Review your personal statement, application, grades, and MCAT scores
- Receive assistance with clinical shadowing opportunities
Opportunity to apply for NHCOE stipend funding for MCAT Prep
- Test taking strategies
- Course materials
- Full length MCAT practice exams
- Selected participants must commit to participating in all monthly workshops through October 2014 and scheduling individualized advising appointments at least once every 6 months.
- Before taking the MCAT exam, NHSPM students must agree to complete 6 months of weekly MCAT prep either in a program or on their own.
- If selected for NHSPM, participants who meet certain criteria will be eligible to apply for a NHCOE stipend to assist with the cost of their MCAT prep. NHCOE stipend recipients will agree to pay $100 toward their MCAT prep.
- Preference given to Native Hawaiian applicants
- Pre-med Student: Applying to University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM) to enter medical school in July 2014, 2015, or 2016.
- College Junior or Senior by Spring 2014. College graduates from any institution (with Bachelor’s degree or higher) are welcome to apply.
- Completed at least 3 of the following pre-requisite subjects for taking the MCAT (2 semesters per subject with labs). We strongly recommend re-taking any of these classes if you received less than a C grade.
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label all emails: “(Your Name) NHSPM 2014 Applic Info.”