2015 Native Hawaiian Student Pathway to Medicine
*APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO JANUARY 31, 2015*
* To be considered for early acceptance, email (or postmark) application by January 31, 2015.
* Final deadline to email (or postmark) application is Thursday January 31, 2015.
The Native Hawaiian Student Pathway to Medicine (NHSPM) is a program of the Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence (NHCOE) at the Department of Native Hawaiian Health, University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM). The NHSPM program guides Native Hawaiian students on their path to becoming future physicians and health professionals. The curriculum consists of premedical workshops and individualized advising/career counseling for selected individuals who demonstrate potential to be competitive medical school or pre-health applicants. There will be opportunities to do community health work and to apply for funding for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prep.
NEIGHBOR ISLAND APPLICANTS are welcomed to apply! We may have travel stipends for Neighbor Island students to come to Oahu for NHSPM workshops.
Up to 20 participants will be selected and will receive the following:
Workshop Series (4 workshops will be scheduled in February – August 2015)
- Learning from Native Hawaiian health professionals
- Navigating the medical school application process
- Interview skills / Mock interview practice
- Learning skills & strategies
- Community health work: Inspiring Native Hawaiian youth to live healthy
Individualized Advising / Career Counseling
- Discuss diverse options in the health professions and your career path
- Discuss your medical school application strategy
- Review your personal statement, application, grades, and MCAT scores
- Receive assistance with clinical shadowing opportunities
Opportunity to apply for NHCOE stipend funding for MCAT Prep
- Test taking strategies
- Course materials
- Full length MCAT practice exams
- Selected participants must commit to participating in all 4 workshops that will be scheduled in February – August 2015 and scheduling NHCOE individualized advising appointments at least once every 6 months.
- Before taking the MCAT exam, NHSPM students must agree to complete 6 months of weekly MCAT prep either in a prep program or on their own.
- If selected for NHSPM, participants who meet criteria will be eligible to apply for a NHCOE stipend to assist with the cost of their MCAT prep. NHCOE stipend recipients will agree to pay $100 toward their MCAT prep.
- Preference given to Native Hawaiian applicants
- Pre-med Student: Applying to University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM) hoping to enter medical school in July 2015, 2016, or 2017.
- College Junior or Senior by Spring 2015. College graduates from any institution (with Bachelor’s degree or higher) are welcome to apply.
- Completed at least 3 of the following pre-requisite subjects for taking the MCAT (2 semesters per subject with labs). We strongly recommend re-taking any of these classes if you received less than a C- grade.
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
FOR APPLICATION AND INFORMATION
Please label all emails: “(Your Name) NHSPM 2015 Applic Info”