To be considered for early acceptance, email (or postmark) application by August 8, 2015. FINAL DEADLINE to email (or postmark) application is Saturday, AUGUST 22, 2015.
NEIGHBOR ISLAND APPLICANTS are welcomed to apply! We may have travel stipends for Neighbor Island students to come to Oahu for NHSPM workshops.
The Native Hawaiian Student Pathway to Medicine (NHSPM) program was created in 2010 by the Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence (NHCOE) at the Department of Native Hawaiian Health at the University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM). The NHSPM program guides Native Hawaiian students on their path to becoming future physicians and health professionals. The curriculum consists of premedical workshops and individualized advising /career counseling for selected individuals who demonstrate potential to be competitive medical school and pre-health applicants. NHSPM scholars also have opportunities to do community health work and apply for funding for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prep.
NHSPM Scholars receive:
• Workshop Series
o Learning from Native Hawaiian health professionals
o Navigating the medical school application process
o Interview skills / Mock interview practice
o Learning skills & strategies
o Community health work: Inspiring Native Hawaiian youth to live healthy
• Individualized Advising/Career Counseling
o Discuss diverse options in the health professions and your career path
o Discuss your medical school application strategy
o Review your personal statement, application, grades, and MCAT scores
o Receive assistance with clinical shadowing opportunities
• Opportunity to apply for NHCOE stipend funding for MCAT Prep
o Test taking strategies
o MCAT Course materials
o Full length MCAT practice exams
NHSPM SCHOLAR REQUIREMENTS
• Commit to participating in all 4 workshops
• Schedule NHCOE individualized advising appointments at least once every 6 months
• Agree to complete at least 3 months of MCAT prep in a program or on own
• When eligible, NHSPM scholars can apply for NHCOE stipend funds for MCAT prep
• Preference given to Native Hawaiian applicants
• Pre-med Student: Applying to University of Hawai‘i John A. Burns School of Medicine (UH-JABSOM) hoping to enter medical school in July 2016, 2017, or 2018.
• College Junior or Senior by Spring 2016. College graduates from any institution (with Bachelor’s degree or higher) are welcome to apply.
• Completed at least 3 of the following pre-requisite subjects for taking the MCAT (2 semesters per subject). We strongly recommend re-taking any of these classes if you received less than a C- grade.
o General Chemistry
o Organic Chemistry
For questions, contact email@example.com
Please label all emails: “(Your Name) NHSPM Application”