Important Steps to Take Prior to Attending NSO

Transfer students are strongly encouraged to access academic information prior to their arrival on campus, as well as reserve a space at orientation.

Check out the New Student Checklist to make sure you're prepared for your first semester at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Also, browse through our Online Tutorial for some helpful information about registration and other things you may want to know about before coming to an NSO session.

Make sure you don't skip these important steps:

  • Submit your intent to register form and tuition deposit to UHM's Admissions office so that your transfer work can be evaluated. For more information, visit the Admissions and Records website or contact them at (808) 956-8975 or
  • Obtain a UH username in order to access UH's online services. Obtaining a UH email account is essential: registering at UH is done only online, and most University offices - advising offices, cashier's office, financial aid, your major department, New Student Programs, etc. - will contact you through your email.

EALL Language Placement Testing

Testing and Procedures

Students with no prior Chinese, Japanese or Korean language experience should enroll in CHN, JPN or KOR 101 (or 111). If your language proficiency is judged to be beyond the 101-level on the first day of class, you will be placed in a higher level course. Students who are placed in 102 or a higher level may complete the language requirement faster and earn up to 16 back-credits, which can be counted toward graduation (Restrictions apply: see the Manoa Back Credit Policy). Students starting from 101 will receive no back-credits. A placement adjustment made in the first week of class does not guarantee a seat in the course appropriate for the student.

Students with prior experience in the language (i.e., formal classroom training, residence in the country of its use, cohabitation with a native speaker, etc.) are required to take a placement test.

Continuing and Incoming UH Manoa students

Students with prior experience in Chinese, Japanese or Korean language and who are new to the UHM program are required to take a placement exam to determine which course is appropriate for each student's language background and ability.

For Japanese only, taking the placement exam is optional for students who have already earned prerequisite college credits at one of the University of Hawai'i campuses, including community colleges, with a grade of C or better. However, the placement exam is strongly recommended if you are interested in taking advanced courses (300-400 level), if there has been a gap since your last language class, or if you would like a firmer sense of your proper placement.


  • Students with no prior Chinese, Japanese or Korean language experience should register for CHN, JPN or KOR 101 (or 111). No further steps are necessary.
  • Students who have taken a language course at UH Manoa can simply register for the next class in the sequence.