I am honored to have been invited by Senator Daniel Inouye to serve as a member of the 2011 APEC Hawaii Host Committee.
This committee will be responsible for coordinating community preparedness for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperative Leaders Meeting, which is tentatively scheduled for November 2011 at the Hawaii Convention Center.
It is considered one of the biggest and most important international events to ever be held in Hawaii, and it will provide us with an incredible opportunity to showcase the international standing and expertise of our university on a global stage.
There will be many opportunities for our faculty, students and staff to be engaged in APEC related activities.
Campus news from my April report
- Business Students Shine in Asia Competition
- Hilo’s Mauna Kea Stewardship Plan
- Honolulu Community College 90th Anniversary
- Kapiolani Service Program Honored
- Kauai Campus Generates Power
- Leeward and Kapiolani Nursing Partnership
- Manoa Sponsors Molokai Math Day
- Marketing Awards for Leeward and Windward
- Medical Students’ Match Day
- West Oahu Math Field Study
UH Community Colleges
Kauai Campus Generates Power
During the spring break, Kauai Community College flipped the switch on its photovoltaic panels and began generating its own power.
Panels on the campus’ One-Stop Center generate over six percent of the campus’ total power needs.
The campus plans to have a display in the One-Stop Center and on its website to show people in real time how much power is being generated by the panels.