Windward CC library, Palamanui and UH initiativesWindward CC Library Learning Commons
Windward Community College officially opened its beautiful Library Learning Commons this month. The three-story, 69,000 square foot library houses computing services, the media center, student services and labs that were previously scattered across the campus. It is the first “green” library in the UH system with photovoltaic panels and an architectural design that uses much more natural light.West Hawaii Palamanui Campus
Governor Neil Abercrombie recently released $7.5 million in General Obligation bonds to finance construction of Hawaii Community College’s Palamanui Campus in West Hawaii. That, combined with the $9.6 million dollar donation by Palamanui LLC means we can expect to go out to bid soon, on construction of the health and science, culinary arts and student services buildings.Initiatives
We are building our budget request on the University of Hawaii’s three strategic initiatives.
- • The Hawaii Graduation Initiative—The goal is to increase the number of college graduates by 25 percent by 2015 by encouraging students to take 15 credits each semester to graduate on time and save tuition money.
- • The Renovate to Innovate Initiative—It highlights the need to invest in our campuses and our future through repairs, maintenance and construction. There are many construction, maintenance and renovation projects currently underway.
- • University of Hawaii Innovation Initiative (HI²)—We currently generate $500 million in extramural or outside funding a year. Our goal is to double that to more than $1 billion through the Hawaii Innovation Initiative or HI².
University and campus news
- • West Hawaii librarian receives community education award
- • Manoa geologist part of Mars rover team
- • STEM scholarships benefit Leeward students
- • UH Hilo joins Hawaii Conservation Alliance
- • Maui program offers stipends for STEM, Hawaiian studies
- • Manoa, Kapiolani expand degree pathway partnership program
- • Power purchase agreement brings solar energy to Coconut Island
West Oahu opening
Our new UH West Oahu campus in Kapolei had its public grand opening this month, and on August 20 we welcomed 2,023 students—a 19 percent increase over last year.
The launch of the West Oahu campus is one of the most significant events for the University of Hawaii in probably half a century. It is a dream come true and we are proud to see our UH ohana grow and reach into more communities around the island and across the state.
UH West Oahu is a state-of-the-art facility, which will undoubtedly have a sizeable impact on the area’s economic growth.