Trip to Washington, D.C.
I spent a week in Washington, D.C., earlier this month meeting and connecting with a number of different university constituencies.
The East-West Center is celebrating its golden anniversary this year, marking 50 years of success in promoting better relations and understanding among the people and nations of the United States, Asia and the Pacific. I had the opportunity to attend its 50th Anniversary Celebration, and I met and spoke with a number of East-West Center and UH alumni at a special event with the UH Alumni Association. It was a great experience to hear from these alumni about their affinity for the university and their ideas for how we can continue to engage them.
Campus news from my May report
- Champion Wahine Softball Team
- College of Pharmacy Awarded $16 Million
- Hawaii Internment Camp Studies
- Serving Deaf Students at Kapiolani
- Leeward Culinary Arts Gala
- Maui Conference Highlights Culture and Business
- New Hilo Chancellor Named
- New West Oahu Campus Funded $48 Million
- Outstanding Kapiolani Faculty
- Second Annual MELE Workshop
- Spring Commencement 2010
- Thirty Meter Telescope Moving Forward
- Three Outstanding Manoa Students
Community College News
Leeward Culinary Arts Gala
Leeward Community College recently held its annual Leeward Culinary Arts Gala, known as L’ulu. The social event of the Leeward side, which provides an opportunity to invest in educational opportunities for Hawaii’s culinary students, brought together the leaders of Hawaii’s Regional Cuisine in support of the college’s Culinary Arts Program.
Guests indulged their senses with the delectable cuisines of Hawaii’s finest chefs alongside the Culinary Arts Program’s instructors and students.
Expanding on Leeward’s Culinary Hall of Fame, the Culinary Arts Program highlighted the “Hawaii Regional Cuisine Wall of Fame” featuring the 12 founding chefs of the movement that put Hawaii on the culinary map and honored Chef Philippe Padovani at this year’s event for his achievements and contributions to culinary education.