Hawaii Graduation Initiative update
Hawaii is in the vanguard of states leading with a college completion agenda. We were one of only eight states selected to take part in Complete College America’s “Fall Academy” in October where we shared our plans to increase the numbers of students graduating with two- and four-year degrees and one-year certificates.
The Hawaii team drafted a preliminary three-step state completion plan, which includes:
- Fifteen to Finish: Encouraging students to enroll full-time and complete at least 15 credits per semester.
- Accelerate to Finish: Providing options for students to begin earning credits by completing college-level work in high school and through the use of summer school.
- Workforce Responsive Certificates: Establishing new certificates based on communication with employers and the Hawaii Workforce Development Council to reinforce the teaching of skills in new or high-demand areas.
Simply put, our citizens must complete to compete in our global economy. We’ll be sharing more about our efforts in these areas as our plans are further developed and implemented.
University and campus news
- C-MORE Hale supports microbe research
- Native Hawaiian serving grants awarded
- West Oahu golf tournament scores scholarship
- Hawaii CC among America’s best
- PCATT celebrates 10-year anniversary
- Leeward opens new Filipino studies center
- Maui College provides employment for isle youth
- Hokulani Imaginarium unveils new technology
- Manoa receives more than $32 million in grants
West Oahu News
West Oahu golf tournament scores scholarship
UH West Oahu raised nearly $28,000 from its first-ever golf tournament held earlier this month at Kapolei Golf Course. The monies from the tournament will be used for scholarships, and to support the university’s student activities fund. Thirty-nine teams participated in the event and UH West Oahu plans to make the tournament an annual event.
The title sponsor for the tournament was D.R. Horton. Other sponsors included: Dorvin Leis, Zippy’s, New City Nissan, Jeff Stone—Resort Group, Imanaka, Kudo & Fujimoto, Outrigger Hotels, Sony, D. Otani Produce, Atlas Insurance, and Irrigation Systems, Inc.