Student Affairs

Student Affairs
2444 Dole St.
Bachman Annex 9, Room 5
Honolulu, HI 96822-2399

tel (808) 956-8753

RAPS Policies and Guidelines FAQ



Academic Actions (Probation and Disenrollment)

Academic Advising

Travel Grants


How many credits do I need to be eligible for RAPS?

You are required to be a full-time student, which the University of Hawai‘i defines as taking a minimum of 12 credits each semester (Fall and Spring).

My specific program says that I can be enrolled in less than 12 credits and be considered full-time. Is that true?

While some schools or colleges may allow you to enroll in less than 12 credits to be considered full-time for their curriculum, RAPS follows the federal definition of full-time status, which is 12 credits per semester. If you enroll in less than 12 for the semester, you have not met the RAPS criteria.

Can I take some of my courses through Outreach College?

Please contact your RAPS academic adviser for more information.



What GPA do I need to be in good academic standing as a Regents Scholar?

As a Regents Scholar, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA in your first two years, and at least a 3.5 GPA your third and fourth years.

What GPA do I need to be in good academic standing as a Presidential Scholar?

As a Presidential Scholar, you must maintain a GPA of at least 3.7.

How is GPA determined for RAPS Scholars?

When we assess your GPA, we look at both the current semester and the cumulative GPA. We will take whichever is higher in determining your eligibility.

When is GPA examined for eligibility purposes?

We assess your GPA at the end of Fall and Spring semesters only. This assessment is conducted in the week following finals. We do not use Summer grades in our determination of your ongoing eligibility; remember, however, that any grades you earn in summer courses will apply towards your cumulative GPA.

How do Incomplete (I) grades get calculated into my GPA?

In short, Incomplete (I) grades do not get calculated into your GPA. Your eligibility is determined on grades available at the time of formal. If you have an Incomplete (I) grade and you are concerned about how it might affect your status, please see the RAPS advisor.


Academic Actions (Probation and Disenrollment)

What happens if I don’t make the GPA required?

We will place you on probation; once on RAPS probation, you will have one regular semester to bring your semester or cumulative GPA to the minimum required to maintain eligibility.

What if I don’t meet the criteria for probation?

If you are unable to raise your semester or cumulative GPA to the minimum required after a semester of probation, you will be disenrolled from the RAPS Scholarship.

What if I successfully get off probation, but don’t have a great semester, and end up on probation again?

The same criteria apply. However, you are limited to two semesters total of probation. It is expected, therefore, if you are on your second probation in the RAPS program, that you will maintain eligibility from that point onward. If you are not able to do so, you will be disenrolled from the RAPS program.

If I am disenrolled from the program, but get my grades back up, can I reapply?

No. Once you have been disenrolled from RAPS, you cannot be readmitted.

How will I be notified of my academic status?

If we need to take an academic action (i.e. probation, removal from probation, or disenrollment), you will receive a hard copy letter from us informing you of your status. Please ensure that you have your most current address listed on MyUH so that you receive relevant communications. You are also encouraged to meet with the RAPS advisor if you have concerns about your continuing eligibility.


Academic Advising

How do I get advising for RAPS?

For the Manoa campus: The RAPS advisors are Dr. Siobhán Ní Dhonacha (Physical Science Building 206) and Jayme Scally (George Hall 206). You can schedule an appointment via the online scheduler at

For the Hilo campus: The RAPS advisor is Shana Kaneshiro. She may be contacted by e-mail at or (808) 974-7714.

For the UHWO campus: The RAPS advisor is Kealohi Perry. You may contact her by e-mail at or (808) 689-2689.

When do I have to see the RAPS advisor?

You are expected to come in for RAPS advising at least once a semester. You will receive an email reminder at the start of the semester, but you can schedule your appointment at a time that is most helpful to you. Please remember that pre-registration advising (i.e. from the time the Schedule of Classes is released through the registration period) is a very high demand advising time and you may not be able to get an appointment easily.

What happens in a RAPS advising appointment?

That depends on you! Some appointments may be very informal—a chance to touch base, see how the semester is going, and to talk about your academic and long term plans. Some may be more detailed, including an audit of your progress towards graduation, and creating a detailed academic plan. Whenever you see the RAPS advisor, it’s a good idea to bring with you any questions or concerns you might have. This will also be a chance for you to learn about any program updates or opportunities.

Is the RAPS advisor the only one I need to see?

Not necessarily. While seeing the RAPS advisor is a good first step, you will be encouraged (and sometimes required) to see other advisors along the way. Many schools, colleges, and majors will require you see their advisors in addition to the RAPS advisor. If you are not sure, the RAPS advisor will be able to direct you to the other advisors and resources that can support your specific needs.


Travel Grants

How much can I use for travel?

All RAPS Scholars are eligible to receive a travel grant for up to $2000.

When do I use my travel grant?

You may use your grant at any time during the terms of your scholarship. You may not use travel grants following the expiration of your scholarship.

What kind of travel can I do under this grant?

The RAPS travel grant provides you with an opportunity to enhance your academic program beyond the traditional classroom environment. We expect that you will find a travel opportunity that directly relates to your academic program and goals. Some ideas include:

  1. Earning credits through a UH-sponsored program, such as International Student Exchange, National Student Exchange or Study Abroad
  2. Professional and academic conferences
  3. Conducting academic research

I’ve never been out of the state, and definitely not out of the country! Can I use my travel grant for cultural enrichment?

The grant must be used in direct relation to your academic program and goals. Cultural enrichment, though encouraged, is not a strong enough case for the awarding of the travel grant.

How do I get my travel grant money?

  1. Submit a Travel Grant Proposal, detailing your intentions and itemizing your budget (see links below). The Travel Grant Proposal must be submitted no later than four (4) weeks before your intended travel. If there are questions about the validity of your proposal, you may be called in for additional details.
  2. Following your travel, you must submit a Travel Completion form with all receipts. Once we have received this paperwork, we will process your refund for up to $2000. Expenses beyond that must be assumed by you. Grant money will not be disbursed to you until your Travel Completion has been submitted.

What if I can’t afford to wait for a reimbursement?

Arrangements can be made on a case-by-case basis to provide you with a travel advance. You must meet with the RAPS advisor to arrange this. A couple important notes:

  1. Travel Grant Proposals must be submitted no later than our (4) weeks prior to intended travel to ensure a travel advance can be made.
  2. Travel Completion and receipts must be turned in no later than four (4) weeks from date of return or a Financial Obligation hold will be placed on your account. You are able to gain access to your official college transcripts and UHM diploma only when all Financial Obligations have been cleared.