Main LogoMain Logo
Main LogoMain logo
Obtain Card  | Training  |  Purchase Process  |  Usage  | Limits  | Airfare Info  | Reconciliation  | Noncompliance  | Lost/Stolen/Cancel

Usage Guidelines

General Purchasing Guidelines Unallowable Purchases Purchases Requiring Authorization
General Purchasing Guidelines    (back to top)
  • Can be used at any MasterCard merchant.
  • Each card will have a transaction spending limit and a monthly spending limit.
  • Each card will be blocked from Merchant Categories that are deemed inappropriate for PCard use.
  • Use is for University business only. Personal purchases are prohibited.
  • PCard purchases must be made in accordance with University PCard policies and procedures as stated in Administrative Procedure A8.266. In addition, federally funded purchases must be made in accordance with OMB Circular A21, Section J.
  • Cardholders are accountable for appropriate use and security of PCards.
  • Cardholders are personally responsible for inappropriate charges.
  • Pcards are not transferrable between individuals and departments.
  • Report lost or stolen cards immediately. Your Department will be responsible for charges made on your PCard until it is reported lost or stolen to First Hawaiian Bank.

Unallowable Purchases    (back to top)
The PCard may NOT typically be used for purchasing the following items/services:
  • Animals and related purchases (Contact Lab Animal Service at 956-8770)
  • Any purchase over $2,500 (P-Card limit by BOR Policy)
  • Automotive gas (Available from UHM Transportation Services or via SPO gas card)
  • Biological commodities, radioactive and hazardous materials (Contact Environmental Health and Safety at 808-956-8660)
  • Cash advances
  • Construction and renovation (Contact respective facilities offices)
  • Contractual services and non-procurement agreements
  • Contributions and donations
  • Fines and penalties
  • Firearms, ammunition and explosives
  • Personal purchases (See AP A8.225)
  • Insurance (Contact Office of Risk Management at 956-7243)
  • Narcotics and all drugs
  • Payments to individuals (Due to tax reporting requirements)
  • Rental/lease of real estate (Contact OPRPRM 956-8687)
  • Specific services, e.g., consulting, financial, professional, temporary
  • Towing charges
  • Travel and entertainment expenses, e.g., hotels, meals and beverages, auto rentals, tips, etc.
  • Any purchase prohibited by UH policy or not business-related
  • Restricted items per OMB Circular A21, Sec J or sponsored award or grant (Contact ORS at 808-956-7470)

Purchases Requiring Authorization    (back to top)
The PCard MAY be used for purchasing the following items/services only with advance authorization:
  • Meals and Refreshments (non travel-related only) obtain authorization from FO
  • Rental of Vehicles (non travel-related only) obtain authorization from FO
  • Business Cards obtain approval from VP, Chancellor, Dean, Director or Provost
  • Telecommunications Equipment and Services obtain authorization from UH Campus Telecommunications Coordinator or DAGS
Note: ONLY Fiscal Officer PCards may be used for purchasing Airline Tickets and Organizational Membership

Home Link FAQ Link Forms Link Contacts Link PVSNet Link