Student Learning Outcomes for a Philosophy Major (Ph.D.):
- Students demonstrate philosophical reading competence in a philosophically significant language other than English.
- Students demonstrate reading and research competence in English.
- Students demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the Western philosophical tradition and, where applicable, in a non-Western tradition.
- Students demonstrate their knowledge and ability to participate in a field of contemporary philosophic endeavor.
- Students gain mastery of a specific topic.
- Students develop the ability to conduct and write publishable research.
- Students develop the ability to express and defend their views in oral presentations.