UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 5.228 Executive Policy 5.228
Executive Policy Chapter: Chapter 5. Academic Affairs
Executive Policy Section: EP 5.228, Credit Hour
Effective Date: August 2014
Dates Amended: August 2011
Responsible Office: Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy: RP 2.202, Duties of the President
Review Date: August 2019
To define credit hour and direct units (UH Manoa, UH Hilo, UH West O'ahu, UH Maui College and UH Community Colleges) to develop a process to assure reliability and accuracy of assignment of credit hours across activities earning academic credit.
A credit hour
A.Is associated with an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement.
B.Reasonably approximates but is not less than
1. One hour of class or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately 15 weeks for one semester or the equivalent amount of work over a different period of time. OR
2. At least an equivalent amount of work for other academic activities such as online instruction, laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work and other work that earns academic credit.
III. Executive Policy
Units shall implement a process for assuring reliability and accuracy of assignment of credit hours across all activities earning academic credit.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Telephone: (808) 956-6897
No References found
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
December 21, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.