UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 7.301 Executive Policy 7.301
International Student Health Insurance
Executive Policy Chapter 7, Student Affairs
Executive Policy EP 7.301, International Student Health Insurance
Effective Date: October 2014
Prior Dates Amended: May 2010
Responsible Office: Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 7.207, International Student Health Insurance
Review Date: August 2018
The purpose of this policy is to establish and promulgate guidelines for campuses to implement the International Student Health Insurance policy, as outlined in BOR policy, RP 7.207.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
A. The President or President's designee will set necessary areas of health insurance coverage as well as amounts of coverage for all non-immigrant UH students on student visas, using federal and state regulations as well as input from the system and campus senior student affairs officers .
B. The health insurance plan/policy for non-immigrant students on student visas must meet ALL of the following minimum coverage requirements (all amounts are in USD). Vision/dental coverage is not required. The plan:
1. Should provide comprehensive medical coverage of at least $100,000 US per accident or illness;
2. Should provide repatriation coverage of at least $25,000 US;
3. Should provide medical evacuation coverage to home country of at least $10,000 US;
4. Should provide inpatient/outpatient medical & mental health coverage at no less than 75% of usual/customary charge (UCC);
5. May require a waiting period of pre-existing conditions which is reasonable under current industry standards; and,
6. Should not require a deductible any greater than $500 US per accident or illness.
These minimum coverage requirements will be updated as necessary, per Section lIlA above.
C. Campuses should monitor international student enrollment in a health insurance plan that meets the minimum coverage requirements, as stated in Section IIIB above. They should monitor annually, at a minimum.
D. International students who are not enrolled in a health insurance plan that meets the minimum coverage requirements, as stipulated in Section IIIB above, will be subject to university sanctions, including but not limited to registration/transcript/diploma holds, until enrollment is complete.
E. Students on J-1 visas must minimally abide by the federal regulations for medical insurance coverage for J-1 visa holders. Therefore, students on J-1 visas are exempted from the areas and amounts of coverage listed in Part B above.
This executive policy was applied in Fall 2010 for new students and no later than Fall 2011 for continuing students.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Subject Matter Experts
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Office of the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs at telephone number 9568753 or by email at email@example.com.
A. Federal and State Laws, rules and/or regulations. Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act ("ACA") (42 USC 300gg-11); US Department of State (22 CFR 62.10 and 62.14 & its Foreign Affairs Manual (9 FAM 41.61 N6.13); US Department of Health & Human Services (45 CFR 156.604, 78 Federal Register 39493), and US Internal Revenue Service (26 CFR 1.5000A-1 and 1.5000A-3)
B. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
C. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.