UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 9.216 Executive Policy 9.216
Classification and Compensation of Coaches
Executive Policy Chapter 9, Human Resources
Executive Policy EP 9.216, Classification and Compensation of Coaches
Effective Date: October 2014
Prior Dates Amended: May 2012, October 2013
Responsible Office: Vice President for Administration, Office of Human Resources
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 9.202, Classification Plans and Compensation Schedules
Review Date: August 2019
The purpose of this executive policy is to describe guidelines for employment and compensation of coaches (including football video specialist and administrative assistant) in the major intercollegiate sports of football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, swimming, golf, tennis, women's soccer, women’s cross country/track and field, women's water polo, and cheer. For the cited positions their classification, compensation and employment shall be in accordance with the following guidelines.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
A. Recruitment, Selection and Classification of Coaches
The recruitment and selection of full-time coaches for football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, swimming and diving, golf, tennis, women's soccer, women’s cross country/track and field, women's water polo, women’s outrigger canoe paddling, cheer, the football video specialist, and the administrative assistant for football operations will be in accordance with applicable provisions of the EEO/Open Hiring Procedure which is intended to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons seeking employment with the University and with the Appointment Procedure for Board of Regents' Personnel which prescribes procedures for the recommendation and approval of appointments.
B. Coaches will be broadly classified as follows:
1. Head Coaches — Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Softball, Swimming, Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Cross Country/Track and Field, Water Polo, Outrigger Canoe Paddling, and Cheer
2. Associate Coaches — Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Softball, Swimming, Diving, Soccer, Cross Country/Track and Field, Water Polo, and Outrigger Canoe Paddling
3. Coordinators — Football
4. Assistant Coaches — Football, Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Softball, Swimming, Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Cross Country/Track and Field, Water Polo, and Outrigger Canoe Paddling
C. Candidates for head coaching positions in football, baseball, men's and women's basketball and men's and women's volleyball at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and in baseball, basketball, and volleyball at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo may have initial appointments not exceeding five years, subject to Board of Regents' approval. After five years of service, all head coaches at the University of Hawai‘i may have appointments not exceeding five years, subject to Board of Regents' approval.
D. All multi-year contracts shall contain performance criteria. Criteria which coaches shall be expected to meet will be developed for each coach. At a minimum, coaches with multi-year contracts shall be expected to meet established standards in the following areas: (1) academic performance of student athletes; (2) personal behavior; (3) conduct of assistant coaches, staff, and players; and (4) program development.
E. It is intended that the salaries be consistent with those of colleges and universities with comparable programs. Accordingly, the salary categories shown in Attachment 1 are adopted subject to periodic review.
F. Salaries of individuals within the indicated categories will be established in an equitable manner which will include the evaluation of individual qualifications (applicable knowledge, skills, and abilities). In addition, salaries may be adjusted as individuals are reassigned from one category to another in order to maintain equity. The initial salaries and terms of employment of coaches will be subject to review through regular administrative procedures with final approval of the President. Salaries upon reappointment shall be in accordance with the above guidelines.
Upon recommendation of the Chancellor and President, the Chair and Vice Chair of the Board or designated alternate Regent approves appointments and reappointments for coaches of more than three (3) years in total duration, as well as appointment, reappointment and salary adjustments for coaches exceeding the salary schedule by more than 25% and/or exceeding $500,000 annually.
G. Supplemental Compensation for Full-Time UH-Mānoa Athletic Coaches
1. Supplemental compensation for full-time UH-Mānoa athletic coaches shall require the approval of the President upon recommendation by the UH-Mānoa Athletics Director and based on criteria which calls for a high standard of athletic performance yet allows a reasonable chance of obtaining such levels of success. The decision to grant supplemental compensation is based on the athletic performance of the team and its academic achievement as well as the coach's administrative ability, community service, public relations, and student-athlete welfare to include the conduct of student-athletes.
2. The purpose of this policy is to provide budgetary control of the levels of salary increases for athletic coaches; recognize and reward high levels of achievement in the field of athletics; and to provide incentives for coaches to strive for high levels of athletic achievement.
3. All funding for supplemental compensation will be generated from external sources and/or revolving funds.
4. Performance criteria and supplemental compensation for UH-Mānoa athletic coaches (Note: "assistant" coaches, herein include coordinators, associate and assistant coaches) are provided in Attachment 2.
IV. Delegation of Authority
In accordance with Board of Regents Policies, RP 9.218, Delegation of Personnel Actions the President is delegated authority to establish policies related to the classification and compensation of coaches and to approve appointments and compensations in accordance with the Board’s delegation.
V. Contact Information
Subject Matter Experts
Vice President for Administration Jan Gouveia
956-6405 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.