UH System Policies and Procedures
Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived RP
- Executive Policies
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Board of Regents Policy 5.206 Board of Regents Policy 5.206
Establishment and Review of Centers and Institutes
Regents Policy Chapter 5, Academic Affairs
Regents Policy RP 5.206, Establishment and Review of Centers and Institutes
Effective Date: Oct. 18, 2002
Prior Dates Amended: July 21, 2002; Oct. 31, 2014 (recodified)
Review Date: August 2018
To set forth policy regarding centers and institutes and its establishment, review, termination, etc.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Board of Regents Policy
A. Board approval shall be required for instructional, research, administrative or public service centers or institutes that:
1. Require significant current or future commitments of institutional financial, human or physical resources, significant change in program mission or major institutional liability;
2. Involve board or the president’s agreements with external governmental or private entities; and/or
3. Involve an honorific name in the designation of the center or institute.
B. The president is authorized to establish centers or institutes that do not meet the above criteria, including centers or institutes funded with private funds or under the terms of an externally funded research or training grant.
C. All appropriated funds supporting centers or institutes shall be subject to the university’s usual budget approval processes.
D. Functional names for centers or institutes are established as part of the approval process.
E. All major reorganizations of centers or institutes shall be in conformance with provisions of the board’s policy on organizational units.
1. Centers or institutes established by the board shall be terminated by the board.
2. Other centers or institutes may be discontinued at the level at which they were approved.
G. The president is delegated the authority to implement the provisions of this policy by establishing guidelines for the approval and periodic review to determine if the center or institute should be continued. A report of the status of centers and institutes will be provided to the board upon request.
IV. Delegation of Authority
The president is delegated the authority to implement the provisions of this policy. See RP 5.206(G).
V. Contact Information
Office of the Board of Regents, 956-8213, email@example.com
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
Executive Administrator and Secretary of the Board of Regents
Approved as to Form:
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.