|DISCOUNTS AND "CHARITY CARE"
- For students with insurance, there are two types of discounts
- Provider discount An insurance plan establishes the "allowable charge" for each medical service, and pays a certain percentage to the provider. The difference between the fee schedule and the allowable amount is called "Provider discount". This amount is not to be collected from the patient according to the agreement between insurance plan and providers.
- UHSM discount ("Charity Care") difference between the "allowable charge" and insurance reimbursement.
- For students without any insurance coverage, Charity Care is the difference between the fee schedule and the student's co-payment amount.
- For students who are truly indigent, the medical provider has the discretion of discounting service fees.
THE RATIONALE FOR OUR DISCOUNT POLICY
In the private sector, participating providers (those willing to accept provider discounts) are obligated to charge the full co-payments. For students with insurance, the UHSM does not balance bill based on the premise that this is a benefit of the student health fee.
Last Updated: 03.05.2010