Alcohol & Other Drug Education Program (ADEP)
Health Promotion Resource Center
2600 Campus Road,
QLCSS Rm. 313-D
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
Phone: (808) 956-3453
Tools and Tips to Quit
Here are some common habit breaking tips you can use:
1. Set a Quit Date
- The first step to quitting is to set a date.
- Mark a specific day on your calendar and prepare for it.
- Set your quit date within 30 days, there is no time like the present!
2. Seek out friends and family that can support you when you quit smoking
- Tell friends and family that you are quitting and tell them your quit date
- Avoid being around people who smoke cigarettes
- If you slip up and have a cigarette, ask those who care about you for support
3. Change your Smoking Routine/ Find other ways to tackle stress
- Try cutting out a few of your cigarettes before your quit date
- Delaying a minute or two or drinking a glass of water may help the urge to smoke pass.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation or yoga instead of smoking cigarettes
- Get busy, do something fun, do something active. This really helps!
4. Seeking professional assistance increases your chances of becoming tobacco-free
- Call a tobacco quitline
- Contact a nearby tobacco cessation program
- Talk to your doctor about medications that can help you quit